We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tenby -Advice

Falkirk ,Scotland
Level Contributor
77 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Tenby -Advice

We will be staying in Tenby for a week from July 10th for our first visit with 2 kids aged 10 and 13, we are looking for suggestions for days out, good beaches/pubs/restaurants/takeaways we already have tickets for the theme park, Thanks

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tenby -Advice

Good all purpose beaches are on your doorstep in Tenby. There are serious beaches for body boarding/surfing further west. There are businesses that offer surfing tuition.

Boat trips to Caldey Island near Tenby, (beach, monastery, chocolate making etc.) You can often see seals from the path there.

Heatherton Adventure Park, near St Florence offers lots of activities to suit teenagers. Go karts, adventure golf and lots else.

North Pembrokeshire quieter more isolated beaches.

Pentre Ifan prehistoric burial chamber near Newport

These are a few things that my teenagers have enjoyed over the years.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tenby -Advice

Which theme park do you have tickets for? Oakwod is the largest but there are also Bluestone water park and Folly Farm. Along with Heathertons, Manor Park Wildlife Park and the Dinosaur park are also very close to Tenby. Best of all are all the great beaches in the area. Check at\ the National Park Centre by the Five Arches entrance to the Town.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tenby -Advice

The Plantagenet House and The Blue Ball are the best grown up restaurants, and Fecci's Fish and Chips and Barbucci's Indian are both eat in or take away. The Plantagenet, again, for Sunday Lunch: downstairs in the cellar bar is more relaxed with kids and is useful if the main restaurant is full. The Dennis Cafe on Castle Beach is a great traditional cafe useful for lunches or late breakfasts. Cafe Vista on Crackwell street has great coffee and the best view over Norh Beach, the coast and the harbour.

Edited: 13 June 2010, 09:44
Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tenby -Advice

I forgot to add Pembroke and Manorbier castles which are both not far away. As the previous poster suggested, Folly Farm is good , my 14 year old still demands to go there for the animals and the vintage fairground, but I think the Dinosaur Park is only suitable for much younger children. There's also Silent world in Tenby which is full of reptiles and fish.

The Bay of Bengal in Crackwell Street does excellent Indian takeaways/ eat in as well.

Falkirk ,Scotland
Level Contributor
77 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tenby -Advice

We have tickets for Oakwood park --- Thanks for all the great advice it is just what we are looking for I will certainly take it all onboard and checkout as much as we can, we are really looking forward to coming down via a week in mid wales, I know many people who have been to Tenby and no one has a bad word for the area.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tenby -Advice

lelogthecat is spot on about the castles and Silent World aquarium, and that the Dinosaur Park is really for younger children. For pub meals, as well as the sausage and mash lunches at The Plantagenet, the food at the Hope and Anchor and The Lifeboat Inn, both between the square and the harbour, is also recommended, as is the Thai food at the Coach and Horses in Upper Frog St.. The Bay Tree Restuarant also very good.

Edited: 14 June 2010, 14:52
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tenby -Advice

We stayed 5 days in Tenby last month.Blue Ball was the best resto of 4 we tried by some distance but not good for families.and there was a hen party in the night we were there and they were a pain.But you accept that hens and stags let rip.The other 3 restos were poor to OK.Qube is one to avoid.Tasteless pasta ,over-priced UK-bottled NZ wine.Wine prices everywhere make you wince.We just loved Folly Farm and we didn't have kids with us.Might be hectic in July/August but in May it was so nice.Nice resort but needs a bit of finesse in the dining-out department.

GEORDIELAND
Level Contributor
959 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tenby -Advice

Have just come back from Tenby with our 3 year old Grandchild and in our opinion, would not return with children, The beaches are good ,but then again no better than we have in Northumberland, what really struck us was the lack of basic play equipment/parks in the towns, or even facilities like crazy golf. really pembokeshire is a nice county and we will return to do some walking and days out on boats without the grandchildren but we came home early as the weather turned and this was no good as nothing to do with kids.

We visited Follies which was excellant and the bairn really enjoyed it, you can make a return visit for half price,also the fairground rides were only 50p so good value, we went to the dinasaur park and too be honest felt cheated, the play equipment had seen better days and some of the stuff didnt work ,i.e the little tractor things , it was £1 to get on some things , and this was after an adult paying £8 to get in, basically you walk around a wooden area looking at some plastic dinasaurs and there is some play equipment for kids, charging £8 for an adult when theres really nothing for adults seems to us a bit of a con, a really silly idea in our opinion was having a crazy golf course on a hill, the bairn just could not hit the ball anyway near the hole as the ball just came rolling back down,but thats just our opinion, we were told by all the locals to avoid the welsh wildlife farm .Basically young toddlers are happy with a good park, and to be honest we struggled to find a one, given all the money tourism generates Tenby council really needs to invest in some decent facilities for younger children if they want to attract families, or perhaps they dont and are happy with the stag and hen scene,

If the weathers good its not a problem as you can visit the beaches, or take them rockpooling at wisemans bridge, but maybe we did not look or research hard enough , would love to hear what you think when you get back,perhaps we missed something

Wales
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tenby -Advice

I am sorry to hear the previous poster didn't enjoy their week in Pembrokeshire. Pembrokeshire is an absolutely fantastic place to stay on holiday in good weather, because it's got some superb beaches. (Someone told me there are 90 beaches in the Pembs national park.)

I think it is fair to say that it is more of a challenge finding things to do in wet weather, as with anywhere in the UK I suppose, and that it's a good idea to do some research on wet weather options before your holiday starts.

I agree that the dinosaur park is a bit of a disappointment - I guess it is more suited to local families who can buy a season ticket and use it as their local play park / soft play throughout the year. You would have been much better off travelling that bit further and going to Folly Farm - which at £8 is the best value family visitor attraction I've ever visited (anything even remotely similar to it in England costs well over a tenner per head). It has in indoor vintage fun fair (extra 50p or £1 for rides), so it is suitable for days when there are rain showers.

Another indoor option is the fun pool at Bluestone. It's not cheap, though. There is also a regular (and cheaper) swimming pool at Haverford West. And during the school holidays, the pools at Pembroke, St Davids, and Tenby will all be available as well.

For younger children there is a soft play (Merlins) at Haverford West (just along from the hospital) which is clean and not huge. We didn't try the one in Tenby itself, so can't comment on that one.

A friend with family in Pembs suggested Carew castle as a good place to visit, but we haven't tried it ourselves. There are lots of gardens / manor houses with gardens to visit in Pembs but I can't remember their names off the top of my head. Scolton Manor park is another showery day option as it has got a small play park and a museum - though we made do with the park and the tea room when we went!

Hope the weather is good for the OP next week!

GEORDIELAND
Level Contributor
959 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tenby -Advice

Hi in fairness I did say Follies was a great day out, and remember TA is all about opinions and we did say we would return , as an adult destination pembroke is great, the point we were making was there was not a decent council park in tenby-correc me if I am wrong

Get answers to your questions about Tenby
Recent Conversations