We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in April, 2013

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting in April, 2013

Hi, I will be visiting Wales in April 2013 and have just changed my first 3 nights to staying in Tenby rather than Haverforwest. I like the coastal aspects as well as the fact of it being a walled medieval city. I find that most of the posts on here are rather dated and would like up to date information on restaurants and best ways to get around since I won't have a car. I plan to travel by train from London Heathrow to Tenby, then by combination of train and bus to see the sights and wander the villages in the area. I will have 3 days there, then move on to Cardiff.

Please let me know your opinion of places not to be missed. Right now, I plan to spend a day in St. Davids area, including Solva. Then the other day around the Tenby area towards Stackpole Quay. I would love to see St Govans but I know that will depend on MOD activities. What towns should I be sure and wander around in and which ones should I skip? Thank you very much for your answers in advance! Any opinion is fine whether anyone else agrees or not.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting in April, 2013

I think Tenby is a good choice for your requirements. It is a pleasant place to wander round and the train station is in the centre of town.

Your trips out will probably be dictated by the bus and train routes. Some one has asked the same question fairly recently on this forum. The bus routes are on www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/content.asp…

This includes the seasonal coastal buses.

Getting to St Davids by public transport is a challenge but not impossible and would involve changing buses at Haverfordwest and spending a lot of the day on a bus.

However, nearer at hand, Pembroke castle, easy by train. Manorbier castle and lovely valley/church/village by bus. Caldey Island, by boat. Carew castle and tidal mill, by bus

If you only have a few days and are using public transport, it might be more time efficient to look at spending your time in south Pembrokeshire, there is plenty here for you, unless you are desperate to see St Davids.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting in April, 2013

Thanks, lelogthecat! I am rethinking all I plan to see. Wish I felt more confident about being able to drive on the wrong side of the road and shift with the wrong hand, clutch with the wrong foot and so on! However, I am finding out more and more about Pembrokeshire area all the time and it does seem that this southern part might fill all my time there.

Does MOD ever have the area to St Govans open during the week or just on w/e? That is the kind of place I love to visit, a little different and out of the way! I am also considering a part day walk from one of the villages to another as part of one of my days, rather than a bus/train, although I am not wanting to traipse in the rain. I see there are possibilities for short walks and thats more my type of plan since I want time to see the town, castle or whatever there is. I also really like the idea of visiting Caldey Island, would I need a whole day or partial be enough?

Thanks to all who help.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting in April, 2013

You will be fine with public transport, I can't imagine it would be very relaxing driving along small country roads with an unfamiliar gear system.

I have been to St Govans several times, at weekends and during the week, the times of closure are pinned up in the Tenby Tourist Information window. One of the coastal buses goes past St Govans and the Information centre will be able to give you more help there.

There are various short walks along the coastal path which passes through Tenby, but it depends how short would suit you.

www.visitpembrokeshire.com has details and other ideas for you.

Caldey is a small island but big on atmosphere, so it can be done in half a day.

Many of these activities are weather dependent, Tenby also has a small but excellent museum and the Tudor Merchants house, small but undercover as it does rain in West Wales!

Tenby, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting in April, 2013

Worth a mention - www.pcnpa.org.uk and the National Park visitor centre opposite the Five Arches on South Parade, where you'll find lots of information on the county and walking the coast path or circular routes.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 19:27
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,552 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting in April, 2013

If you were thinking of driving then most big car hire firms and many small ones rent automatics as well as "gear shift"

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting in April, 2013

I was in Tenby a few weeks ago and it was shut !

A holiday coach broke down and I had to step in and deliver 30+ passengers to a hotel in Tenby right by the sea.

We got there about 8.30pm, it was so dark I could hear the sea, but couldn't see it and I was only a hundred yards away.

Tried to get something to eat, the fish and chip shop had shut and the only place I could find was a Chinese.

Was there an hour and drove 200 miles back home. Not time to digest the place fully, but the nightlife seemed non existent that I could see. I was in the walled area near South Parade so perhaps I missed it.

The town looked pleasant enough but I don't know what you are looking for in the evenings, but bearing in mind it was out of season as well it was pretty quiet.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting in April, 2013

Thanks very much for all the helpful suggestions for my trip. Its now less than 2 months and I think I have my transportation pretty much in place, except for the daily sightseeing. That will depend somewhat on the weather and on how long I end up spending at any one place! I have decided I won't set an exact agenda, but have a general plan and start with the highest priority-to me- and go from there. If I don't see it all, then I will have at least enjoyed what I did see. I think I will find plenty to enjoy. I am not a real big nightlife person and hope to wear myself out during the day!

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting in April, 2013

In common with many other places Tenby is quiet on a cold winter's evening, but not shut. If Oxford71 had continued his walk he would have found plenty of other places open.

By April and the Easter school holidays the town will be much more lively.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting in April, 2013

Agree with lelog,

as Tenby is a holiday destination, it does get quiet in the dead of winter,although there are busy parts all year,Oxford was most likely delivering to the Imperial hotel, with is open all year,I was there a few weeks ago and it had NO guests at all, however,there were 70 arriving that evening, the are is that sort of place,however, in the spring/summer/autumn, it is very busy town, and I have no doubt you will enjoy

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting in April, 2013

You are right, I was delivering to the Imperial.

It is owned by Shearings whose coach had broken down and our company stepped in to provide onward transport at short notice, so that would account for the empty one minute and full the next that dozydai referred to.

First time I had been to Tenby, didn't have a chance to do other than get something to eat as my statutory break, turn round and come back home, but it wasn't half dark !

Loked very nice from what I saw of it, but I thought I was going to do a school run when I was phoned up and asked to work in the afternoon at short notice so not a lot of chance to prepare for having a look round.

Get answers to your questions about Tenby
Recent Conversations