We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not entirely a Liverpool question per se ...

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Not entirely a Liverpool question per se ...

My husband, son and I are going with my in-laws to visit family in Liverpool next spring for two and a half weeks. We're renting a house in Hoylake.

I predict I will need a vacation from this vacation, so my husband and I are hoping to find a nice country house or B&B to spend a couple of days at, and we could really use some help. This is the sort of place we're looking for:

* Within two hours' drive or so from Hoylake. (Our son will only be 13 months old, so we don't want to drive too far, or else we'll end up with a grumpy baby.)

* A pretty, rural setting, but located near some interesting things -- castles, ruins, etc.

* A place that accepts young children, and that isn't so fancy we'll feel awkward having a baby with us. Affordable is good, too :)

We're thinking Shropshire, North Wales, or maybe the Lake District (though I hear that can get pretty crowded). Any thoughts?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not entirely a Liverpool question per se ...

I live near Hoylake and recently went for a few days break at Ruthin castle hotel in North Wales. Unusual setting with castle ruins in the grounds, great food, friendly staff. We took my 14 month old daughter with us and didn't have any problems.

It is probably not more than 1 hour from Hoylake. If you pay full rates the rooms can be expensive but you can get good deals from places like late rooms. Some of the rooms have been refurbished and I would recommend one of these. There is plenty to see and do in North Wales such as walking, castles, etc. within easy distance of Ruthin.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not entirely a Liverpool question per se ...

Hi there; as a Scot living in England, I would suggest Wales. We live very near the Lake District; it is lovely but the towns and roads from spring on can be very busy. Also from Liverpool you would face at least 2 hours very busy motorway driving then 30 -60 minutes normal (busy) road driving to get right into the Lake District.

Do a search and ask questions on the Wales forum and other more specific ones. From Liverpool you can be into Wales in one hour and in the hills/mountains/and or seaside within two. Conway has a fantastic castle and is near lots of other great places to visit. If you are old enough to have watched "The Prisoner" cult TV show, it was filmed at Portmeiron in north Wales; a great day trip as it is beautiful. Great little (weird) town to wander round and loads of places to sit with the baby. Also north Wales in particular has a number of preserved narrow guage railroad lines, some of which go up the hills and mountains, a great trip as your baby can be sitting/sleeping happily while you're looking at the view.

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not entirely a Liverpool question per se ...

Thank you for the suggestions! I think Wales would be perfect.

I think we'll have to skip Conway Castle, though ... my husband fell and hurt his ankle there as a teenager, and it still bothers him. He seems to have a vendetta against the place ;)

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
1 post
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not entirely a Liverpool question per se ...

Try the Hand at Llanarmon D.C. in the beautiful and peaceful Ceriog Valley in North Wales. A nice, friendly, clean and efficient small hotel, 90 minutes drive from Hoylake at the most, the last bit through some beautiful countryside. It is an easy drive from there to the National Trust property, Chirk Castle, and a little bit further to the spectacular Powys Castle and gardens. Llangollen is also not far away with a wealth of rural pursuits and attractions.

england
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not entirely a Liverpool question per se ...

Consider Chester. A lovely little city with a very long history. You'll find medieval style houses, cobbled streets, the Cathedral and Roman excavations

6. Re: Not entirely a Liverpool question per se ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 01:19