We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liverpool for the British Open 2006

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Liverpool for the British Open 2006

My son (14) and I are planning a trip to England for the 2006 British Open. We are flying into Manchester.

We are looking for good, reasonably priced (around or under $300US) hotels in and around the Liverpool area. The closer the Open the better of course. Any suggestions for hotels would be greatly appreciated. As would suggestions on things to do--other than watching golf. We are probably going to spend Thursday and part of Friday in Liverpool. Saturday and Sunday at the Open.

Also any advice anyone might have about whether or not to rent a car in Manchester--or use public transporation.

This is my first trip to England so I am not at all familiar with the roads, etc.. so If it's possible and practical to take trains from Manchester to Liverpool and then Liverpool to the Open, it would be preferable.

Thank you very much in advance.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liverpool for the British Open 2006

You don't need a car and are probably best advised not to hire one. Apart from adapting to driving on the left you would end up spending a lot of time and money just to park it!

There are fairly good rail links from both Manchester Airport and Manchester City Centre to Liverpool. See http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

The Royal Liverpool Golf Club, where the Open is being staged, is a good ten miles away from Liverpool itself, in the small town of Hoylake. There is very little in the way of hotel accommodation in and around Hoylake and the local road infrastructure is going to be overwhelmed by the traffic so staying in Liverpool itself is the your best option. There is an excellent commuter rail link between Liverpool and Hoylake which is the preferred way to access the course. See http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/

The trains to Hoylake run round an underground loop in Liverpool stopping a four separate stations so it can easily be accessed from any City Centre hotel.

Judging from the price you are quoting you are looking for a full service hotel so you could consider, Raddisson, Crowne Plaza, or Marriott (City Centre). Avoid the Adelphi at all costs! Budget hotels vary, but the Holiday Inn Express and the Premier Travel Inn at Albert Dock are excellent choices, considerably cheaper but not full service (more like motels). Choose a hotel in the City Centre itself so you can access the trains to Hoylake.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liverpool for the British Open 2006

I would expect the hotels to be very busy, and not offering the usual discounts.

Liverpool is famous for the Beatles and its 2 magnificant Cathedrals. Tours might be interesting for you.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liverpool for the British Open 2006

Thanks so much for the replies and excellent information. So far I've found a few hotels that seem promising. The Marriot South (6 miles outside of Liverpool), the Villages Wirral and the Midland in Manchester. I'm still searching--but does anyone have any experience with these hotels? Are they close enought to the train system for easy travel to and from Manchester, Liverpool, and the Open?

Thanks again!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liverpool for the British Open 2006

I wouldn't say that any of these hotels are particularly suitable for public transport access to the Open.

The Marriot South is very much an airport hotel, quite literally so because it is actually a conversion of the rather beatiful former airport terminal, it's quite far out from the city and not within easy walking distance of a station.

The Village is a modern complex that stands on its own in a suburban location, there is nothing much within walking distance (apart from the delightful garden suburb of Port Sunlight) and its not particularly suited to access by public transport.

If there is no avilability at the hotels I mentioned previously you might try the Holiday Inn on Lime Street, not the most loveable building in the world (above a 1970's Shopping Mall) but very well placed in the centre of Liverpool directly across the road from both the main station terminal (for Manchester) and an underground station (for Hoylake).

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liverpool for the British Open 2006

Thanks again Dexter. Hotel availability is really tight--through a travel agent we've been offerred a very nice room at The Midland in or near Manchester, 30+ miles from the Open site. If there is transportation nearby then that may be ok--what about The Midland or other hotels in Manchester? Is it too far to make the daily trip to the Open and/or Liverpool?

Thank you!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liverpool for the British Open 2006

I don't know The Midland Hotel in Manchester but given that it is about an hour on the train to Liverpool and then you would have to change to the underground station and travel a further 30 minutes to Hoylake it is less than ideal.

Obviously hotel accommodation is under some pressure, so you are not going to get something ideal. Out of the places you have mentioned I think I would be tempted to go for the Liverpool South Marriott. From the hotel you would need to take a 5 minute bus or taxi journey to the newly opened station at Liverpool South Parkway where you could get a local commuter train with one fairly simple underground connection at Liverpool Central to Hoylake (about 1 hour total jouney time from the hotel).

The hotel is the original 1930's airport terminal, the airport itself having moved about a mile and a half away in the seventies. There are some facilities nearby, including some restaurants and a large retail park and you would be able to spend time in Liverpool centre and get back to the hotel in the evenings if you wanted to.

About a mile from the hotel there is a wonderful medieval hall (Speke Hall) which is owned by the National Trust. The hall also serves as the afternoon departutre point for small group tours of John Lennon and Paul McCartney's childhood homes.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liverpool for the British Open 2006

Thanks so much again Dexter. I think we'll take your advice and stay closer to Liverpool. The long train ride back forth between Manchester doesn't sound too inviting. Especially after a long day walking the Open course.

One last question--do you know anything about the Campanile Liverpool? The location sounds great--but I'm wondering about the facility.

Thank you!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liverpool for the British Open 2006

The Campanile is in a fairly good location about a quarter of a mile walk from Albert Dock and half a mile from the commuter trains to Hoylake although you would probably need a taxi to and from the Manchester train. Taxis are plentiful and reasonably cheap. Hotel is at the more basic end of the budget market, rooms tend to be a little small and there are few frills, unexciting but perfectly adequate.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liverpool for the British Open 2006

If you haven't yet booked I think there might still be rooms available at the Thistle, Sir thomas Hotel and the Feathers. These are all based in or near Liverpool City Centre. I haven't stayed in any of these but you can check out the reviews on this site to see whether any of them sound reasonable. I agree that the train is easily the best way to get to the open. Will take no more than about 30 minutes to Hoylake from Liverpool Centre. Anyone trying to drive is going to be strongly encouraged to use park and ride facilities at several stations as Hoylake does not have much parking.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Liverpool for the British Open 2006

Hi and thanks to all for your help and suggestions. I tried all suggested hotels--thought we had a room at the Sir Thomas--but just got an email saying "No Rooms Available". The only hotel I could book was the Holiday Inn Express at Albert Dock--from the reviews it sounds pretty decent--but I'm not sure about the location. is there a train station nearby? Will we be able to catch a train from the hotel to The Open--or will we need to go into Liverpool?

Thanks again!