We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to hire mobility scooters ?

Which Southport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
united kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
where to hire mobility scooters ?

My disabled husband abd myself plan to spend a two week holiday in Southport next year and will need to hire two mobility scooters., please can any kind person advise me of reliable places to hire mobility scooters ?

I know about Shop Mobility but I rather think they just hire out on a daily basis.we need the scooter to be delivered to our accommodation before we arrive and collected again after our holiday./

any thanks.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where to hire mobility scooters ?

According to Shopmobility Southport's web page

Wheelchairs, scooters and power chairs can be hired for the day and subject to certain criteria can be loaned overnight or for longer periods (e.g. the duration of a holiday stay in Southport). All the vehicles can be delivered to and collected from a hotel/railway station/coach point etc., subject to volunteer availability.

They have moved from the address on the web I should ring them and ask them as I think, as they say, they will hire for longer periods and deliver.

23-35 Scarisbrick Avenue, SOUTHPORT, PR8 1NW Tel: 0151 2886885Fax: 01704 501506

Scoota Mart Southport

Contact details

7 Garrick Parade

Lord Street

Southport

PR8 1RN Tel: 01704 514 447

Fax: 01704 514 447

The Southport store also rents out Scooters, Powerchairs and Wheelchairs, so you can enjoy your stay and keep mobile.

Gibel

united kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to hire mobility scooters ?

Gibel. thank you so much for that very useful information.

I will ring both Shop Mobility and Scooter Mart to see what I can sort out. I need to ensure that I can hire scooters before I confirm the booking of our accommodation.

We both are experienced scooter riders as we each have a scooter, but , they are too large to bring on holiday.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to hire mobility scooters ?

We plan to come to Southport by taxi and stay at Birkdale.

I rang Scooter Mart and encountered a very rude young man who told me that scooters could only be booked two days prior to our holiday and we had to take whatever they had available , this is just not acceptable , no delivery or collection service and a charge of £10 per day.

I then telephoned Shop Mobility, there is no delivery or collection service, we have to pay an annual membership of £25 per person ,, the daily charge for each scooter is £6, pass their " driving test " despite being experienced scooter users, and the scooters can only be used within the confines of Southport, so we can not travel to and from Birkdale on them , only if we use the train every time, crazy.

I have come to the conclusion that Southport is doing everything it can to discourage visitors.

4. Re: where to hire mobility scooters ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2012, 10:29