We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fireworks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Fireworks

We are thinking of going to the Pleasureland British Musical Fireworks Championships in September.

Can anyone tell us what hotel would be the nearest to King Gardens where it is taking place? How near is King Gardens to the centre of Southport?

How far is it from Liverpool airport and how do we get there from Liverpool?

Is this a good event to go to? Hope someone can help us.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fireworks

Absolutely superb event, highly recommended but somewhat weather dependent at that time of year. Road access and parking can be chaotic!

King Gardens / Marine Lake is alongside the promenade in the centre of town.

Personally I find that most Southport hotels are a bit past their prime but there is a comparatively new Premier Travel Inn on the Ocean Plaza development next to the Marine Lake.

There are frequent bus links for the short hop from the airport to the newly opened station at Liverpool South Parkway where local commuter trains run every 15mins (30mins evenings) direct to Southport. (journey time just over 1 hour).

Alternatively from Central Liverpool you can use the same trains (approx 45mins journey) but you need to be aware that the last train out of Southport is at 23:15.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fireworks

Thanks Lerpwl for your advice. When you say that it is weather dependent, does that mean that it could be cancelled or deferred to another week-end. Could we be disappointed if we book to find it's been changed to another date? has this happened in the past?

Finding it difficult to get hotel. You mentioned the Premier Travel Inn. What other hotels are close by?

What is the Prince of Wales Hotel like - how close is it to the marine lake? Surprisingly there are no reviews on it.

How about the Scarisbrick Hotel on Lord Street? Do you know anything about this hotel & how far would this be from Marine Lake?

Another one is the Best Western Royal Clifton. Another one I have looked at is the Alexandra & Victoria but they seem to only have single rooms.

Let's know your choice of hotels numbered 1 down.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fireworks

Weather - Usually held over 3 nights, they might cancel individual nights if it is raining hard or blowing a gale but not the entire event. I can't recall it happening recently. What I meant is that it is is much less enjoyable if you have to stand around in the cold and wet to watch. Because of its exposed position on the west Lancashire coast the prevailing westerlies can be somewhat brisk at times!

Not much experience of staying in the hotels mentioned but I have attended functions there. My views are entirely subjective:

Prince of Wales; Grand building desperately in need of refubishment, badly run by indifferent management.

Clifton: Ditto

Scarsbrick; Also rather dowdy and sometimes noisy (bars at street level) but at least the management seem to make an effort. Whilst I'm loathe to actually recommend it, I must admit that I have never had any cause for complaint.

Alexandra & Victoria; Only been in briefly but it has had some money spent on it and it looks a decent bijou hotel.

You might also consider the Bold (pub-like but decent food) or the Sellbourne, both on Lord Street.

All of the above hotels are within 5 minutes walk or less from the Marine Gardens. The Alexandra & Victoria and the Clifton actually overlook the gardens.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,226 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fireworks

I almost hate myself for doing this, being Southport born and bred and still very fond of the town, but if it’s the combination of Fireworks and September you fancy, then you might do better going to Barcelona for the Merce festival – this year 19th – 24th I believe. The weather will probably be better and the fireworks are astonishing.

As a guideline, there is likely to be

a) Correfoc – an incredible almost primeval parade through the city centre where beasts are loaded with bangers and ‘devils’ twirl pitchforks above their heads with fireworks attached whilst spectators dance around them to drive out evil. A real adrenalin rush that goes on for hours – wear protective clothing

b) An international pyrotechnic competition – usually three major displays over three nights and

c) A grand finale – can be breathtaking – the one three years ago finished off with ‘1000 fireworks in one minute’ and as most of those fireworks were the large air burst types you can imagine how good it was.

There’s loads more to do in the festival, and if you are interested there are loads of photos on our website, www.avengerpenguins.com – click the ‘photos’ link near the bottom of the home page. There’s some text about the festival as well.

Back to Southport. IMO it’s a town worth visiting in its own right, fireworks or not. We stayed at the Price of Wales in December and thought it was OK. Not brilliant, but we got a cheap deal. The room was large and the heating was on and it’s a lovely building. Tend to agree that the management seemed pretty disinterested but I’m not sure I want much more from management than a quick and easy check-in/check-out most of the time. We’d stay there again, but not at full price.

The Scarisbrick used to be my weekend hangout in the late 70s/early 80s. It has a splendid position but is, as pointed out, quite lively with several popular bars. I’ve never stayed there. I’ve not heard much good about the Clifton of late.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fireworks

Thanks to you both for your replies. It seems everybody will be heading to Southport and have already booked rooms.

I love fireworks and just came across Southport by accident.

But it was a bit late. Will know better for next year.

We love Barcelona and thanks to you now have another option.

It doesn't seem to be advertised yet for this year. All I could find was last year's event on the internet.

Tried to go to "avengerpenquins.com" but couldn't find site.

If you know of a site where I can get info on the Merce Festival 2006, this would be great.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,226 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fireworks

Decision

It's penguins not penquins. Copy this www.avengerpenguins.com and you should get there. It's non-commercial - just our own work, but we like sharing out photos.

The Merce doesn't seem to be very well advertised - don't know why. There is sometime a bit of info on some of the official Barcelona sites and the best info we've found so far is on barcelona-tourist-guide.com/events/barcelona… but getting dates out of them far in advance is quite tricky.

I hope you have a great time in Southport.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fireworks

Sorry about that Pandachris2. Your website is brillant - very easy to access. Great idea for travellers.

Can you tell me what days Merce Festival happens. You said it was happening from 19th - 24th September 2006. But the calendar says that 25th is the Grand Finale which is Monday. Elsewhere says that the festival is over 3 days. Just wondering what day should we book to arrive and what date we should leave to avail of the most of the festival.

In 2004 when you were there, how many days was the festival over?

What day did it end? I would have thought that it would finish Sunday but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,226 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fireworks

Decision, thanks for the feedback. Makes the effort seem worthwhile.

Go with the official site dates rather than ours. We aim to be in Barcelona a couple of days either side of the festival, to get in the other essentials and trips to Montserrat (now a tradition) and other places (Girona, this year). With Correfoc, Xambanga, the wine festival, the fireworks and the Grand finale to fit in, there's hardly time to see one of Europe's loveliest cities. Try to avoid what we did in 2002, when we left the airport during the Grand finale, so we were able to see about 2 minutes worth of fireworks from the plane's window. Oops.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fireworks

I would recommend the fireworks and if going to Southport Ocean Plaza is not a bad place to start off the evening, park and see the fireworks. There is a hotel and plenty of restaurants.

If you can get there early enough you will be able to park your car and have a meal/drink in a variety of restaurants such as Chiquitos Mexican Restaurant, Nandos and Frankie and Benny's

You will get a great view of the fireworks from the car park-so if the weather is a bit chilly/damp you can keep warm in the car and just jump out for the fireworks.

Access to Ocean Plaza is off the promenade/marine drive.

I would hire a car at Liverpool John Lennon. Southport is about 25 miles from Liverpool Airport via the Knowsley Expressway A5300 then M57 then going via Formby A563 into Southport.

There are plenty of small hotels/ B&Bs near Kings Gardens.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fireworks

Hello, I'm a Southport resident and would concur with the comments, PoW is living on it's past glories (and it not very glorious now!). The Clifton is good only because if you get a room at the front you can see the fireworks from your room, but it's a bit big and sprawling!! The Scarisbrick is right at the heart of the nightlife so can be very noisy and a bit unnerving to enter at night! You should could however go to the Premier Travel Inn, or local independently run, Metropole, Waterford or Cambridge House Hotels. With the exception of the CHH, all are within walking distance of the displays.

Get answers to your questions about Southport
Recent Conversations