We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Southport run down ?

Which Southport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
united kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is Southport run down ?

I last visited Southport approx 5 years ago , when it was obvious that a lot of money had been spent on regeneration , I was thinking that I might pay another visit , but have been rather " put off " by reading on some forums that Southport has now become very run down , a lot of the shops closed on Chapel Street , drunks in the Queens Gardens and seats on the Prom and in the Gardens with peeling paint , same with the Cafe near to the boating lake.

Please can any residents tell me if this is true and tell me what the " down " sides of Southport are.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Southport run down ?

I don't consider Southport to be any more run down than most other towns of its size around the country. It has been hit by the recession and there are a lot of empty units on Lord Street, Chapel Street and the arcades. There are few independent shops left on Lord Street and charity and pound shops are on the increase.

Conversely there has been major investment and there is now a state of the art theatre and conference centre joined to a handsome Ramada hotel overlooking the Marine Lake. The town now has its first 5* hotel in the Vincent which was recently featured in the Sunday Times. The Travelodge group is in the throes of refurbishing and extending the former bus station into another hotel. The Arts Centre and central library which were closed for a considerable period for refurbishment has re-opened as "The Atkinson" - another state of the art cultural centre for Southport.

There are lots of excellent restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets and a cafe culture has developed along Lord Street. I counted over 20 establishments along its length where on a fine day one can eat and/or drink . Many good pubs and wine bars too including the new Guelder Rose on Marine Drive.

Come and enjoy!

Edited: 18 February 2014, 14:24
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Southport run down ?

I agree,we have been to Southport a couple of times lately & didn't get the impression that the place is looking run down,quite a bit of work going on around the marine lake

united kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Southport run down ?

Thank you for your interesting replies , which have assured me , I now hope to spend a weeks holiday in Southport during the Summer.

Thanks again.

London
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Southport run down ?

From Newcastle originally. Lived in London and Leeds. So I guess I'm good at compare and contrast. I just visited Southport on a glorious sunny day. Sad to see parts run down. Where did the council money go? And where are the youth? Seems there's nowhere for young people/professionals to go. Place has so much potential.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Southport run down ?

Southport is on the outer rim of Sefton and rather forgotten when it comes to spreading the money about. Shops are empty round and about again if the council lowered the property tax then there might be more takers, Lots of Youth about try West Street of a night time..

To be fair Southport is not the place it once was but then again neither are many of the UK's seaside towns, there is new investment and the Kings Gardens will be great once everything is done.. Pedestrianising Chapel St was a bad move, caused extra congestion on Lord St and removed the passing trade from that area of town..

Can you enjoy Southport, course you can, I do.

Southport
Level Contributor
121 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Southport run down ?

Not necessarily run down, just not as popular as it was. Marine lake and the surrounding area is currently undergoing a lottery funded 11m£ ish renovation. Come at Easter time, as its all supposed to be finished by then and its going to look amazing!

Source: I live here - any questions feel free to inbox me

Cheers,

Chris

Edited: 17 March 2014, 01:29
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Southport run down ?

Spot on Chris which applies to a lot of places,peoples tastes have changed,new places have appeared to attract people also

Liverpool
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Southport run down ?

One of the top 100 best places to live, according to the Sunday Times.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
180 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Southport run down ?

We live just outside Southport and think it still has a lot to offer. In addition to the comments above the oier is good for a walk in the sun, the bowling alley/cinema complex by the pier offers entertainment, as some one has said the Kings Gardens are undergoing major refurbishment back to the a smart Victorian park ,and the café by the pier is currently stripped back to its roots and is being refurbed. Avoid staying in any of the hotels owned by Britannia - The Scarisbrick, The Prince of Wales and Pontins (just read the reviews on TA)and you should be OK. The Metro Hotel has recently been refurbished and is lovely. It is a bit sad to see the empty shops, but Southport is more than shops. Hesketh Park and Botanic Gardens are both worth a visit, and the pine woods at Formby are good for a short trip out of town - take the train to Freshfield - the Red Squirrels are starting to repopulate after being hit with a virus a couple of years ago.

By the way, tony2phones, the council have nothing to do with the amount of rates business pay in the UK - businesses are valued by The VOA and the rate set by central government - the council just collect the money.

10. Re: Is Southport run down ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 04:18