We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Life in Southport

Which Southport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town
3 posts
Save Topic
Life in Southport

My husband and i are coming to southport for 2 years, and im absolutely terrifed as im not to sure what to expect as we are from Cape Town!

Any advice???

Durham, England
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Life in Southport

Birkdale is mixed as to housing. There are some very prosperous bits, and some less nice parts too. Ainsdale would be a possibility - at the south end, closer to Liverpool but generally more modern housing than Birkdale.

Crossens too - at the north end - is quiet but less posh.

My vote would be for Churchtown, too.

As for rowdiness - and I am afraid, in my experience, the word for many of the people in the town centre late in the evening is "rowdy" rather than "boisterous" - it is no worse than many English towns. There are many people who travel in, especially at the weekends, with the usual British intention of getting bladdered. Confident Liverpudlians are, no doubt, well-equipped to deal with that sort of person. If you're not, just keep your wits about you, don't go looking for trouble, and you should be all right.

Southport, UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Life in Southport

I have been living in Southport since 2001 and have seen a good deal of improvement in that time, and the events that are on over the summer are fantastic - we were out virtually every weekend at something different. there is plenty of obvious investment and once the eyesore of Pleaseureland has gone, this can only help.

There are plently of good restaurents in the otwn, and as we are close enough to walk in and out of the centre, I have never seen anything I would descripe as rough! The worst day is when the 12th July parade tales place - the litter after that is unbeleivable, but last year it was cleared up through the night and the next day was all gone. The worst problem is the trafiic on sunny weekends and bank holidays. Hopefully this will improve if and when the new park and ride is opened.

Having lived other places, including cities, I like living in Southport and do not intend to move. Not everyone is a pensioner - I'm 31! and want to bring up my children here. There is enough to do locally, but you are so close to Liverpool and Manchester, as well as the Lake District, you can have as much variety as you want. My parents are planning to relocate out here because they like it so much, as could be a couple of friends.

If you need any specific info, let me know and I will try to help.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Life in Southport

Just back (22.Oct.) from a long weekend in Southport with a party of retired theatricals. We have all spent many years on the road in this country and worldwide, and have seen the good , the bad and the ugly. Southport was good but is now ugly. I know it's out of season ,but the air of neglect is everywhere. Southport must be the most car unfriendly town in the North. Predatory traffic wardens waiting to pounce , pay and display in all areas and double yellow lines stretching to town limits well beyond any habitation. This allied with pay and display car parks on stretches of open road where once you could pull up and stretch your legs.

Areas which were once famous for lawns and flower beds are now either developed or under development for commercial use.

Matalan and Morrisons replace Marigolds and Mimosa , Sad , Sad.

We will not return.

Silverstrand

southport
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Life in Southport

This last post is the biggest load of bunkum ive ever read, how can it possibly be any worse than 20 years ago, there was nothing to do then , at least now it has got decent facilities, decent cinema, bowling, good variety of reastaurants,and decent shopping, look how much money has been spent on the place in recent years, it has improved beyond belief..

I agree with the traffic problems, over zealous wardening is driving people from the town, anybody been to Morecambe recently, now theres a time warp if I ever saw one

15. Re: Life in Southport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 01:17