We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harrow - things to do?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Harrow - things to do?

Hi,

I've been living in West Harrow for a couple of years now, but I haven't quite got into it in the same way I did when I lived in Greenwich. I like the shops, and the cinema by the station, and have walked around the village up on the hill Harrow. I use the local shops in North Harrow. I know that there's a big museum that I've yet to go to, so that's on my list. Is there anything interesting (accessible on foot or by public transport) that I've missed in or immediately by Harrow?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harrow - things to do?

Answering my own question, for other's benefit in the future!

There is a good self guided walking tour of historic Harrow. You can pick up the leaflet in libraries (Discover the Hill) or it is possible to download the Harrow on the Hill tour. Unfortunately, it won't let me copy the link. Type Discover the hill Harrow into google, and the top option should be the link to download the leaflet.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Harrow - things to do?

NorthWestLondoner,

Hope you don't mind me changing the thread a little. Can you tell me what is happening on the old Safeway site, I know the place was demolished but whats there now ?

Thanks,

Lyn

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Harrow - things to do?

Have you had a look at Harrow Heritage Museum, its in the park off Parkside Way, next to Headstone Manor.

Quite interesting if you like to know the history of the area.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Harrow - things to do?

I believe they also have a tourist office at Harrow Civic Centre.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harrow - things to do?

I'm in the library in North Harrow now, so I'll have a look and report back tomorrow when I'm at work. Last time I looked, it seemed like they had knocked it all down, except for the small old corner building (probably listed). I would imaging...luxury flats! But, I'll get back to you.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harrow - things to do?

Where the Supermarket used to be they are going to build flats for rent or purchase by keyworkers etc. This is a good scheme (I got my flat through a shared equity scheme for keyworkers), but it's still out of the reach cost wise of many people. Two of my friends who are struggling to get on the property ladder don't qualify for any scheme because they are not keyworkers, and aren't on the waiting list for a council flat. Basically, they are too well off for any scheme, but not well off enough to buy even the most basic flat without the help of a scheme!