We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hayes - public transport and staying

Cardiff
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hayes - public transport and staying

I'm coming up to London for the weekend. My (late) father was born in Hayes, though moved to Wales as a very young child (though he was always English when they won anything!!) and I have always wanted to visit - what is there to do? I will be coming up on public transport (the Megabus) to London. Is Hayes easy to get to?

What about a hotel - I'd like to treat myself to one with a pool though not too pricey?

Any thoughts?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hayes - public transport and staying

Definitely Hayes in Middlesex and not Hayes in Kent, yes?

Um. It's not much to write home about. It's a west London suburb with not a great deal in it, to be honest. I imagine it will have changed *significantly* since your father's time. It's not even particularly easy to get to (it's not on the tube). You can get a mainline train from Paddington to Hayes & Harlington station, though, and from there you turn right to get to Hayes town itself, which is a pedestrianised area with a few shops but nothing exciting. It's probably most famous for the Hayes Bypass! (and for a pub called The Grapes which is the endpoint for a few London bus routes). Oh, and the Beck Theatre, which you could try googling and see if anything's on.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging. Maybe it has hidden gems that I don't know about - I lived not far from Hayes for a few years (Northolt... which is no more interesting!) and it never struck me as the most interesting / nicest place in the world. But then I only really ever saw it 'in passing', I never really stopped there, so maybe...

Cardiff
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hayes - public transport and staying

Yes Hayes in Middlesex rather than the other Hayes.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hayes - public transport and staying

Sorry but Hayes is a dump, I drove through there a few months back and it's still a dump, like it was when I lived near there (cough) years ago.

It will also have little if any resemblance to what it was like 40 or 50 (or more???) years ago when your father was there....though it wasn't much to shout about then, maybe thats why his parents left, and very sensible too.

You probably don't want to hear this but I wouldn't bother going, and certainly wouldn't advise staying in Hayes, at least then you wont be stuck there when you are done.

Let us know what you thought of it when you get back as I'm sure you'll sensibly ignore this advice, but in order to visit the Hayes of your father, you'd need to travel by Tardis as well as Train.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hayes - public transport and staying

The problem is that Hayes isn't even really 'on the way' anywhere... so you couldn't kind of stop off there on your way to do something else, if you're still keen to see it. Well... it's on the way to Uxbridge, which at least has quite a nice newish shopping centre and some decent restaurants, but still...

I guess there's probably somewhere nice to stay in Ealing - I don't know any specific hotels I'm afraid but that might give you a starting point. Bits of Ealing are really nice and there are shops and restaurants etc in the centre. You can get a bus (207) from Ealing to Hayes - traffic can be a nightmare through West Ealing and Southall, but it's not too painful a journey. And it's pretty easy (and relatively speedy) getting into central London from Ealing, either on the tube (Central line) or on the mainline into Paddington.

Do you happen to know what road your dad was brought up on?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hayes - public transport and staying

Hayes is just North of Heathrow, so a hotel on the Northern border of the airport might work. Check out londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_hotels.htm

Kent UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hayes - public transport and staying

100% the worst place in the UK,immigrants everywhere

7. Re: Hayes - public transport and staying

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 01:20