We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

Which Stirling hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

I was planning on three nights in Edinburgh but it appears that the rugby fans have all the rooms. As an alternative, was thinking about staying in Stirling and doing Edinburgh as a day-trip on Friday and/or Saturday. Is this a good alternative? If so, any B&B recommendations? Or will Stirling be filled with rugby fans also? Finally, have a 10AM flight out on Sunday morning - can I get to the airport via train? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

There are regular connections between Stirling and Edinburgh on weekdays/ Saturdays so that would be fine- but you will have a problem making that flight time on a Sunday morning assuming you need around 1 1/2 hours to check in as there are fewer trains on a Sunday and they don't start running until later. http://www.scotrail.co.uk/ for timetable information.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

There's another discussion on this particular topic in the thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k2756…

There is no train station at Edinburgh Airport.

You can get the 100 service www.flybybus.com from Haymarket station or the 757 service www.airdirect747.com from Inverkeithing (in Fife i.e. other side of the Forth) station.

There's also the 555 and 777 services www.horsburghcoaches.com from Livingston (West Lothian).

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

Stirling will be busy with rugby fans too, and the trains between Stg and Edin could be mobbed on match day - especially coming back at night.

There are engineering works between Larbert and Croy on Sun 24th. Trains to Edinburgh should be unaffected but trains to Glasgow will be affected.

Louisville
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

Thanks for the updates. It is possible I could retain my rental car and make it on my own to the airport for my Sunday morning departure. About how long a trip would that be? I will check the B&B situation in Stirling - I would avoid the Sterling to Edinburgh trip on Saturday and just do it on Thursday and or Friday based on the feedback above. Any B&B suggestions?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

Please do come to Stirling. Keep your hire car and you can do a lovely tour of the Trossachs, Loch Lomond and beyond.

You could stay in Stirling, No 10, Forth, Linden, Neidpath B&B, or The Terraces hotel.

Stay in Bridge of Allan, at Kilronan B&B, 10 minutes from Stirling.

If you allowed 45 mins drive to the airport from Stirling. Assume 2-3 hour check in - no problem.

Emelda

Louisville
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

Emelda,

Thanks for the recommendations. I have sent enquiries to the places you mentioned - hope to hear something back soon.

Louisville
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

Places are certainly busy that weekend. The only place that I was able to find an available room in Stirling is at the Golden Lion Hotel - will take the train into Edinburgh on Friday to see the big city sights. Does anyone care to recommend a couple good places to eat in Stirling on Friday and Saturday? Are reservations required?

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

Golden Lion is nice hotel - very central but parking is very limited so get there early.

Would highly recommend the restaurant L'angevine just up the hill from the hotel as if you are walking up towards the castle. Delicious food, great atmosphere and service. You would be much better to book.

Louisville
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

Thanks!! I'll reply back regarding my Stirling stay when I return.

10. Re: Stirling - weekend of May 22-24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2009, 08:19