We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best to see in Stirling

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Best to see in Stirling

During the one day visit what shouldn't I miss in Stirling?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best to see in Stirling

Hi

The castle! definitely top of the list - see historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/… for details.

The old town jail - www.oldtownjail.com

If you are interested in art galleries or museums - www.smithartgallery.demon.co.uk is worth a look.

If you have transport and are not limited to Stirling itself:

the Wallace monument gives good views - details also on the historic-scotland website.

Bridge of Allen is nearby - an attractive village with the Allen Water Cafe - a real favourite of mine - www.allanwatercafe.co.uk - now in its 4th generation of an Italian family. If you want to eat (much) more expensively, Andrew Fairlie is just up the road at Gleneagles Hotel - some claim this is the best place to eat in Scotland, though I can't speak from experience on that one.

Mentioned in this post
Gleneagles
Gleneagles
3,835 Reviews
Auchterarder, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,982 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best to see in Stirling

There's also the site of the Battle of Bannockburn if you are interested in History. As said by fifporter the castle and the Wallace monument probably are not to miss. Check out the hop on hop off bus tour which will take you all around the various sites. Probably you will not have time to take a walk around the University campus but on a good day it's a beautiful cammpus for a stroll.

Oh and I agree that the fish and chips in the Allan Water cafe is some of the best in the land IMO also. great award winning ice cream too.

Mentioned in this post
Bannockburn
Bannockburn
Stirling, UK
The Allan Water Cafe
The Allan Water Cafe
424 Reviews
Bridge of Allan, UK
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best to see in Stirling

Stirling is a delightful city and repays walking around. Take time to explore all the small 'wynds'. There is lots of information and pictures here:

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areastir/index.ht…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/stirling/stirling…

As already mentioned, the Castle is well worth visiting (and there is an excellent view from it. The Church is nice and there is also Argyll's Lodging which is a splendid 17th C town house.

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/propertyoverview.htm?PropID=PL_276&PropName=Stirling:%20Argyll's%20Lodging

Eleanor

Mentioned in this post
Stirling
Stirling
Stirling, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best to see in Stirling

Stirling Castle Il più maestoso di tutti i castelli scozzesi offre varie gemme: l'ampia Great Hall, appena restaurata e riportata al fasto del 1500, lo splendore rinascimentale del Palazzo Reale, la stupenda Capella Reale e un vivace dimostrazione di cucina medievale. Troverete anche una mostra sila vita della corte reale, un ristorante e un negozio.

I Argyll's Lodging é l'esempio piú bello e piú completo rimasto della Scozia di una residenzia cittadina del XVII secolo casa di città. È stata riportata con un sapiente restauro agli splendori del 1680.

La vittoria spettacolore di William Wallace del 1297 contro gli inglesi invasori ispiró una nazione alla libertà. Oggi nella torri alta 67 metri, che domina l’orrizonte di Stirling, potete rivivere le lotte di Wallace e godervi delle piú belle vista della Scozia. C’è inoltre un caffè ed è possibile praticare passegiate a contatto con la natura.

http://www.stirlingcity.eu/tour/0070.html

Mentioned in this post
Argyll's Lodging
Argyll's Lodging
269 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best to see in Stirling

Open-top tourist bus not running this year, but there are frequent local buses from the city centre to the Wallace Monument. (sorry, can't do that in Italian)

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best to see in Stirling

Thanks to everyone for the precious help.

Bobelinks, thank you for the italian version reply!

Central scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best to see in Stirling

Really impressed with that Bobelinks!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best to see in Stirling

More of the same

tripadvisor.it/ShowForum-g191266-i1866-Stirl…

9. Re: Best to see in Stirling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2009, 05:36