We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trossachs from Stirling

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
592 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trossachs from Stirling

I'm wondering about public transportation from Stirling to the Trossachs. I see that there's a shuttle around different parts of the Trossachs, which I'm sure I'll make use of, but what's the easiest place to stay in if I plan on arriving by train or bus from Stirling?

My plans are to rent a car in Glasgow, drive to the Isle of Skye and spend a few days there, return the car in Glasgow, then take a train/bus to Stirling and somehow get to the Trossachs for a couple of days before I travel by train/bus to Edinburgh for my last few days in Scotland. Is this realistic? Is there adequate public transport that I won't end up a lot of time waiting for different trains and buses? Would it be a better idea to keep the car for 2 extra days and drive to the Trossachs, then drive back to Glasgow and take a train from there to Edinburgh? I'd rather use as much public transport as possible, but if I'm going to spend all my time on different forms of transportation, I'll reconsider how long I keep the car.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trossachs from Stirling

Personally I'd keep the car for the Trossachs. Find out if you can drop the car off in Edinburgh. I haven't found off that there exorbitant drop off charges, but it's been over a year so there may have been changes. The car will let you explore the Trossachs a bit easier. You might want to check out the Steamboat ride on Loch Katrine. Also if you are interested in Rob Roy check out the graveyard in Balquhidder and then drive out the Glen. It was a beautiful drive. Pam

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trossachs from Stirling

I agree. The Trossachs Trundler is useful for those without or not wishing to use a car, but as you'll have one anyway the marginal cost of two days extra hire is probably fairly small.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usscotfax/org/llt…

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trossachs from Stirling

Definitely keep the car. No rail service from Stirling to Callander an buses are infrequent - hourly.

Emelda

www.trossachs.co.uk

www.incallander.co.uk

4. Re: Trossachs from Stirling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2009, 05:34