We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"stirling bridge" and transport from Glasgow..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
"stirling bridge" and transport from Glasgow..

On a tip I just recieved in a different TA thread, I am now planning a day trip to Stirling. I will be on Holiday and looking into Murray family history sites, so I am wondering if the battlefield for the battle of Stirling Bridge is still known....is there and actually location I could visit? Is is near the castle? Also, I will be staying in Glasgow so I am wondering if I should try to take a train or bus. The date will be in the first week of October so I also want to be sure nothing is closed for the winter by that time. Thanks!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "stirling bridge" and transport from Glasgow..

www.scotrail.co.uk/content/timetables.html

Transport is easy,there are frequent trains from Glasgow Queen Street station or you can get a bus from Buchanan Bus Station.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "stirling bridge" and transport from Glasgow..

The battle of Stirling Bridge relates to a former wooden bridge at Stirling, which has now disappeared although allegedly bits of it can still be seen a few dozen yards upstream of the current 'Old Bridge'.

It is walking distance (all downhill from the Castle) and also convenient for buses out to the Wallace Monument.

http://www.stirlingcity.eu/oldstg/pb7.html

If you aren't heading out to the Wallace Monument, good views can be obtained from the Beheading Stone on the Gowanhill. The Beheading Stone is a reminder of capital punishment in history, and is thought to have been used for the execution of several important figures; most notably in 1425 Murdoch, Duke of Albany and former Regent of Scotland, two of his sons and his father-in-law the Earl of Lennox, as James I took his revenge for Albany’s misuse of power during James’s minority.

The Castle is open 9.30 am to 5.00 pm from 1 October and the Wallace Mon't 10.00am - 5.00pm, both 7 days per week.

There are 3 trains per hour from/to Glasgow to Stirling, (to Dunblane, Alloa, and Aberdeen (the last is an express))

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "stirling bridge" and transport from Glasgow..

Thanks guys!

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "stirling bridge" and transport from Glasgow..

The Bannockburn Heritage Centre will probably have information on the Battle of Stirling Bridge.

It's located on the road from Whins of Milton and Stirling about a 20min walk from Stirling town centre, bound to be lots of buses. The X39 from Glasgow may even go past it.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "stirling bridge" and transport from Glasgow..

Cowane's Hospital is also worth visiting for genealogists, it has a family history centre.

stirling.gov.uk/index/stirling/visitstirling…

6. Re: "stirling bridge" and transport from Glasgow..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 05:18