We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Stirling

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Stirling

Could you suggest a day trip from Stirling? We've already been to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Falkirk and we would like to make a day trip from Stirling to any interesting place near by. We haven't got a car, so it must be accessible by public transport. Any good ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Falkirk
Falkirk
Falkirk District, UK
Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Stirling

You could take the bus to Pitlochry - nice tourist village with attractive river / waterfall and some decent tourist shops and restaurants. A little further on (but still on the bus route), is the 'House of Bruar' - fabulous (but expensive) scottish products and a nice traditional cafe. You can google both places and see how they appeal.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,977 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Stirling

Perth is half an hour, Dundee an hour, from Stirling by train.

There are buses to Doune and Callander. From Callander you can get Demand Responsive Transport (basically a taxi but at bus rates, prior booking advised) to Aberfoyle and Loch Katrine for the trip on the SS Sir Walter Scott.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Perth and Kinross, UK
Doune
Doune
Stirling, UK
Callander
Callander
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, UK
Loch Katrine
Loch Katrine
699 Reviews
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, UK
scotland
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Stirling

I agree about Pitlochry, beautiful place, one of my favourites! What about st andrews? I love it there aswell, it's got the beach, the shops, cafes/bars/restaurants, and it's also the home of golf if your interested in that? The number 23 bus from the bus station will take you there, with some nice scenery on the way. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Pitlochry
Pitlochry
Perth and Kinross, UK
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Stirling

Thanks everybody! We ended up taking the 23 Fife bus and going to St Andrews after all (2 hours away from Stirling, 11 pounds with return). It was great, the weather, the beach, the ruins, the cafes, everything! The local tourist information office was very helpful and gave us a useful little map, and we had a great time. We 're not much into golf, but it's supposed to be a great place for that too. I highly recommend it for a short trip from Stirling. Thank you all for your ideas and for such quick replies!

Mentioned in this post
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Stirling

St Andrews ",,,,supposed to be a great place for golf..". Sorry, but it did make me chuckle to see the "home" of golf referred to in this way.

Mentioned in this post
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
6. Re: Day trip from Stirling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 05:17