We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking options

Which Stirling hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
aberdeen
Level Contributor
366 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
parking options

Hi, I was wondering if Stirling is easy to find parking in or is it like Aberdeen which charges everywhere in the centre.

I am travelling to Stirling in August to visit the castle whilst also having a wander round and wonder if you can get cheap or free parking easily? I know you can get parking at the castle for £4 but don't see the point in paying more than I have to - leaves more to spend on nice coffee/lunch!

I don't mind walking a bit and I was in Stirling a few years ago and I seem to remember parking in a side street near the tourist information? Could that be right?

Thanks for any input

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,654 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking options

There is on street parking on the 'Kings Park' area near the Tourist Information centre off Dumbarton Road but it tends to be busy.

Rates are in the leaflet

www.stirling.gov.uk/parking_leaflet.pdf

Parking at the railway station is £3 per day, which is central and monitored by CCTV.

There is free parking on Ballengeich Road behind the castle but it's a bit out-of-the-way and thefts from cars are not unknown.

Stirling
Level Contributor
92 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking options

Your best bet might be one of the park and ride schemes (the Council website has info stirling.gov.uk - or leave the car and take the train /bus - there's a shuttle bus service to the Castle from the railway station over the summer.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking options

Hi!

You can park at the railway station as Bob says, £3.50 a day though.

Alternatives, are Wellgreen Car Park opposite Adamo/The Bank restaurant, or Linden Avenue car park, a little further round, was free not sure if it still is?

£4.00 at the castle sounds ok.

Other alternatives are The Marches or Thistle Centre shopping area car parks, watch out for closing times.

Hope that helps.

Emelda

aberdeen
Level Contributor
366 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking options

Thanks very much for the information. I am happy paying £3-£4 for a day trip. I am used to Aberdeen charging £1 per hour to park in the city centre or parking is limited to a 2-3 hour stay in some metered parking.

I am looking forward to my trip!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,143 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking options

Bob FYI the nice Stirling Council have put parking meters on the Ballengeich Road as they have done all along the edge of the Kings knot and the Kings Park.

You have to pay to park your car to visit the cemetry now (my grandad is buried in there.)

Shaz there is also the Park & Ride at the retail park.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking options

If I remember correctly the Thistle car park is £1 for the first hour, 50p per hour after that with a max charge of about £4. An absolute bargain compared to my home patch with parking in the centre of town at about £10 upwards.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
366 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking options

I have looked at the Stirling Castle park and ride but I have realised that it is a Sunday when I am visiting and it only runs Monday to Saturday. Does another park and ride run on a Sunday?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,654 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: parking options

<< Bob FYI the nice Stirling Council have put parking meters on the Ballengeich Road >>

I suppose they have to raise the money to pay for boarding up all the public toilets somehow.

I must confess it's been *ages* since I went for a walk up the Ballengeich; they could have built a towerblock up there and I not notice. Slightly embarrasing for a DE to be caught out though!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,654 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: parking options

AFAICS no Park and Ride services run on Sundays.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,143 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: parking options

Most on street parking is free on Sundays. Take a look at this map

www.stirling.gov.uk/parking_leaflet.pdf

Bob we might be DE's but we don't know everything so not embarrassing at all.:-)