We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stirling to Loch Ness via Inverness?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Stirling to Loch Ness via Inverness?

Hi! I am traveling from Stirling to Invemoriston in July. We are spending two nights in Stirling (so will see the castle and do a day trip to Edinburgh) then will be driving to Invemoriston. My question is what stops to make on the way? I would like to visit Urquhart Castle definitely but also am torn between seeing Inverness Castle, Glen Coe and Scone Castle.

Can anyone tell me if seeing all four would be possible? Or am I better off sticking to 2-3 sites? (and if so, what would you recommend? - keep in mind I have already seen Blair Castle so that was taken off the list.) Google says total driving time would be about 3 1/2 hours from Stirling to B&B in Invemoriston.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,225 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stirling to Loch Ness via Inverness?

Urquhart castle is only about 10 miles from Invermoriston so maybe you could see it whilst staying there.

Personally I would take the scenic route from Stirling up the A84 through Callander and on to Glencoe. You could stop there for lunch and be at your B&B in time for tea.

You could return south via the A9 and visit Scone (palace not castle). Allow a few hours to see this.

I've never been to Inverness castle.

Mentioned in this post
Callander
Callander
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
New Jersey
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stirling to Loch Ness via Inverness?

Sorry, I mean't to say Culloden (near Inverness) We are also planning on going to Glen Coe but stopping there after a night on Skye.

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,124 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stirling to Loch Ness via Inverness?

Might be easier if you give us your full itinerary. I, too, would have said see Glancoe, but I see you are passing through it anyway. To where?

Excuse my ignorance, but I didn't know Inverness had a castle.....

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
New Jersey
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stirling to Loch Ness via Inverness?

Here is my tentative plan:

arrive 7/6 to Glasgow

Staying in Stirling for 7/6 and 7/7 - to see Stirling Castle; Doune Castle;

Campbell Castle (in Dollar); Day trip to Edinburgh

7/8 - driving north to Inverness then down the other side of Loch Ness to stay at B&B in Invemoriston. On the way to Invemoriston stops might include: Scone Castle; Culloden; Inverness Castle; Urquhart Castle

7/9 - Drive from Invemoriston to Skye. Visit Eilean Donan Castle and spend afternoon exploring Skye

7/10 - Drive from Syke to Inveraray. Visit Glen Coe and Inveraray Castle.

7/11 - Drive from Inveraray to Ayr. (looking for castle or other site to visit on way)

7/12 - Visit Maybole/Ayr (my mother was Scottish and grew up here.)

7/13 - fly home to USA!

I have visited Scotland a few times but haven't been back for about 20 years or so. My husband and I are bringing my three adult children to see the land where my mother grew up.

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Doune Castle
Doune Castle
1,803 Reviews
Doune, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,282 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
Inverness Castle
Inverness Castle
584 Reviews
Inverness, UK
Urquhart Castle
Urquhart Castle
4,128 Reviews
Drumnadrochit, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Eilean Donan Castle
Eilean Donan Castle
3,306 Reviews
Kyle of Lochalsh, UK
Inveraray
Inveraray
Argyll and Bute, UK
Glen Coe
Glen Coe
1,090 Reviews
Glencoe, UK
Inveraray Castle
Inveraray Castle
1,630 Reviews
Inveraray, UK
Ayr
Ayr
South Ayrshire, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
London
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stirling to Loch Ness via Inverness?

One possibility for 11 / 7 would be Mount Stuart on Bute. You can use a "hopscotch" ticket on the CalMax ferries so that you get to Bute on the short northern crossing then head over to Ayrshire on the Rothesay ferry.

Presumably if you are going to Maybole on 12 / 7 you'll be visiting Culzean too?

One comment. You'll be spending a fair while in your rental car with your proposed plan. Most of your journeys will be on roads with wonderful views, but where you average speed may not be as high as you'd expect.

(Though as it's July - you will enjoy lots of daylight hours!)

Mentioned in this post
Mount Stuart
Mount Stuart
942 Reviews
Isle of Bute, UK
Isle of Bute
Isle of Bute
Argyll and Bute, UK
Ayrshire
Ayrshire
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stirling to Loch Ness via Inverness?

Inverness "castle" is not really what we would term a castle here, it was built in 1830 (i.e.fairly Modern building by Scottish standards) to house courts and offices which is still what it is used for today. Really not worth going out of your way to see.

Fort George is much more interesting undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/nairn/…index.html

Edited: 12 December 2011, 15:56
Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
New Jersey
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stirling to Loch Ness via Inverness?

Thanks for the information on Inverness Castle (it doesn't sound like something we would be interested in now.) Ft. George looks however!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,124 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stirling to Loch Ness via Inverness?

That's quite a tight schedule. Anyway, try and see Kilchurn Castle on the way between Glencoe and Inveraray.

I agree that Rothesay might be a good detour. Or, even better, take the ferry from Claonaig at the end of Loch Fyne (Inveraray) to Lochranza (with imposing Castle) on Arran, plus Brodick Castle (National Trust for Scotland), before getting the ferry to Ardrossan, only 20 miles from Ayr.

Mentioned in this post
Kilchurn Castle
Kilchurn Castle
395 Reviews
Dalmally, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Inveraray
Inveraray
Argyll and Bute, UK
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
2,618 Reviews
Inveraray, UK
Isle of Arran
Isle of Arran
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ayr
Ayr
South Ayrshire, UK
9. Re: Stirling to Loch Ness via Inverness?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2012, 10:20