We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on when to visit Stirling during our trip

Which Stirling hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on when to visit Stirling during our trip

I would appreciate input on when it makes sense to fit Stirling into our tentative trip plans. Our trip is scheduled for May 2014.

Departing by car from Shrewsbury to Portree, Isle of Skye (undecided where to stop over for night)

3 nights in Portree

Depart Portree for St. Andrews (there is time to stop for overnight but no plans yet)

2 nights in St. Andrews

Depart St. Andrews for Edinburgh (drop off car at airport)

3 nights in Edinburgh

I have looked at AA Route Planner to review distances, etc but still cannot determine if I should stay in Stirling on the way to Isle of Skye, on the way to St. Andrews or to take a day tour from Edinburgh.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you, Lisa

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on when to visit Stirling during our trip

I would stay in Stirling on the way to Portree. It's a long drive but it's about half way.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on when to visit Stirling during our trip

An exact half way would be one of the motorway stops just S of Glasgow. Not recommended.

You either carry on W of Glasgow to the Erskine Bridge, for a stop on Loch Lomond, or you head NE onto the M73/M80 towards Stirling.

However I have a cunning plan.

Head N via Loch Lomond, Oban, Glencoe, Fort William, Mallaig and take the ferry onto Skye, maximising good W coast scenery. If you take the Stirling option, you omit Loch Lomond and Oban. Look them all up before making up your mind.

When finished, depending on how long you feel like taking over your journey to St ANdrews, leave Skye via the bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh, take the A87 back to the great glen, then possible cut cross country on the A86 to Newtonmore or Dalwhinnie. Various routes from there e.g. Aviemore, Grantown, Tomintoul, Deeside, and then Southwards to St Andrews; or down the A9 to Pitlochry, Blair Atholl, Dunkeld, Perth. There are other permutations. If you get to Perth, Stirling is 40 mins away down the A9.

-

But big question: is Stirling a 'must see'? The castle? Similar structure to Edinburgh castle, but Edinburgh Castle has a lot more to offer

Edited: 22 July 2013, 00:58
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on when to visit Stirling during our trip

Either:

Do your trip as described. If after a couple of days in Edinburgh you feel the need to see another castle then jump on the train to Stirling.

Or

Stop at Stirling for an overnight on your way to Portree. That puts you on a route north through the Trossachs via Callander and Tyndrum. You can then go either via Oban or Glencoe. I'd choose Glencoe for the scenery. You'd miss Loch Lomond but it's not a pleasant road to drive and you don't see much of the loch if you're driving

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on when to visit Stirling during our trip

Thank you all so much!

5. Re: Suggestions on when to visit Stirling during our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:21