We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October visit to Stirling

Granby, Connecticut
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
October visit to Stirling

We are planning an 8 day visit to Stirling in Oct. to visit our son who will be at the University. I would appreciate suggestions regarding flying to Glasgow vs. Edinburgh, renting a car or traveling by train (we will be 4 people, would love not to deal with a car, but don't want to miss out on places we should see), and favorite places to visit. We are deciding whether to include time in London or just explore Scotland.

Thanks!

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
554 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October visit to Stirling

Travel by train is the easier option - whether Glasgow or Edinburgh, I would find Edinburgh easier. It may not sound exciting but you can get the bus (or taxi if you prefer) from the airport to Waverley station area in Edinburgh then a direct train to Stirling.

Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October visit to Stirling

Hi Coachjackie, I have been to the UK numerous times, most recently spring 2012. My husband and I went through Edinburgh, Glasgow and the Isle of Arran. I personally have never used a car when I have travelled to Europe. I find the rail system there fantastic. Whether you want to travel between Glasgow and Edinburgh or up to Stirling in between you will find that the trains are on time, clean and they go just about anywhere you'd want to go. I also find them to be well priced. Just my opinion.

I think that splitting your time and going down to London will be a long train ride. I looked up travel from Edinburgh down to Paddington Stn in London for you on National Rail and the cheapest fare was 42.50 pounds and was 5h 40min. While I'm in love with London (have been 5 times!) I do think that perhaps your time with your family could be better spent travelling between Glasgow, Edinburgh and Stirling. There is a ton to do and see in all three locations which could fill up more than your 8 days. Please feel free to check out my other posts on all these locations.

I have flown into Edinburgh and flown out of Glasgow. I found both experiences to be great. Not sure what sort of guidance you are looking for on this but it's your basic airport experience. Taxis to and from are expensive no matter where you go in the UK.

Good luck with whatever you choose; you are in for such a treat going there to begin with, and I'm sure the autumn colours will be magnificent.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October visit to Stirling

A car would give you flexibility to do some exploring although from Stirling you can take trains to quite a few places, Edinburgh and the east, Glasgow and the west.

As to which airport to fly to I would go with whoever is offering the best deal for price and convenient flight.

You could fly into Scotland and out of London if that suited your plans.

Take the train down to London towards the end of your stay.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 18:59
Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
554 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October visit to Stirling

Try the sleeper train if going to London as it saves a day of travel - recent discussion tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k67…

Granby, Connecticut
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October visit to Stirling

Great advice and suggestions, thanks to all! I think I'm leaning toward flying in and out of Edinburgh and taking the train to Stirling. We can decide if we need a car for any short excursions.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October visit to Stirling

If your flight to Edinburgh goes via London, you could spend a day or two in London first and then catch the (sleeper) train to Edinburgh.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,731 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October visit to Stirling

Firstly I am sure your son will have a great time at Stirling Uni. My Daughter just graduated from there in June.

RE Glasgow vs. Edinburgh airport. I am from Stirling and fly in and out regularly. Edinburgh is my first choice but distance wise there is not much in it. Personally I would rent a car especially if you want to get out and see the wonderful Scottish scenery. I suspect you will have lots of luggage if your son is staying at the University so would be easier with a car. Of course you could also rent a car for a few days whilst in Stirling The major companies are there.

You could easily spend all your time in Scotland but a few days in London would be easy to do. Perhaps look at an open jaw airline ticket to avoid unnecessary travel.

Granby, Connecticut
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October visit to Stirling

Great to hear about your Daughter's Stirling U. experience, RonaldoC, thanks! I will compare cost on car rentals in Edinburgh vs. shorter term in Stirling.

We can fly in to Edinburgh and out of London for essentially the same cost, so need to decide about that. Should we be thinking about the Highlands if we exclude London, or is that too far?

Thanks all!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,731 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: October visit to Stirling

A really recommend a trip to Skye, seeing Loch Lomond, Glen Coe and Eilean Donan on the way. You can do this in two or three days easily and it will give you some spectacular views.

Granby, Connecticut
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: October visit to Stirling

Sounds great, thanks!