We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Lets? Beware of Old Bankend Farm - Sterling

The North
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Lets? Beware of Old Bankend Farm - Sterling

We saw ‘Old Bankend Farm’ on Trip Advisor and it appeared to be a suitable location for a family New Year gathering. It has a nice view of Stirling Castle in the distance and, if a little isolated and dated, was big enough for a number of my family.

Having made an enquiry about having the cottage from the 29th December through to the 5th January we were quoted a price of £1500 by Val Gair (the owner of this cottage) through the Trip Advisor email facility. Val stated that this was a reduced fee from her normal price of £1900.

On the 13th October we visited the cottage to assess if it would be a suitable. We were met by Val Gair, a most abrasive individual, who promptly began a rant about a number of previous guests (not discrete about previous guests at all!).

Despite our reservations about Val and her attitude we agreed to book the cottage and Val immediately said we could only have it for 4 nights at the same price (£1500) instead of 7 nights. I explained she had already agreed a price through the Trip Advisor website and she eventually relented but said we could only get into the property after 4pm on the 29th.

7 days later we received a very terse email from Val stating she had rented the cottage to someone else.

Consider this fair warning to other renters of Val’s attitude and tactics. I sincerely hope the family renting this property over New Year have a lovely time but I suspect that Val’s presence may put a dampener on an otherwise fun time. I also hope that they have not been ripped off on the price. It is a nice enough cottage, but certainly not worth almost £2000 for a week!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Lets? Beware of Old Bankend Farm - Sterling

Curious as to why you didn't post on the TA property link you quote or link it to this ?

The North
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Lets? Beware of Old Bankend Farm - Sterling

If you let me know how then I will, if that is a more appropriate site. When I contacted trip advisor this is where they suggested I post any comments.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Lets? Beware of Old Bankend Farm - Sterling

If you haven't stayed in the property then you can't leave a review / post an appraisal in the property's page - well you can but the owner would be within their rights to have it removed as you haven't actually stayed there. Hence advice to post here.

4. Re: Holiday Lets? Beware of Old Bankend Farm - Sterling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 05:18