We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Fish and Chips

Scotland
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Fish and Chips

I have read that Bradley's does the best fish and chips in Hartlepool. Is this the case and can anyone recommend anywhere else worth trying in the Hartlepool area?

Berkshire
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Fish and Chips

Not sure of the name but there is a Fish and Chip shop on Seaton Carew down near the arcades on the opposite side there is a little sit down area joining the fish and chip area used to have a blue beady thing habging over the door. Great value for money with pot of tea or coffee bread and butter and bowl of mushy peas lol, althoug I do not like these hubby does.

I am up there this weekend from down South so I shall be visiting that for sure. Happy eating.

Berkshire
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Fish and Chips

There is Fish and chip shop on Seaton Carew opposite the amusment park and arcades bottom end of Seaton Carew there is a a seating area to the left of this owned by the same company. You not only get the fish and chips you get a bowl of mushy peas and a pot of Tea and bread and butter within the price GREAT VALUE and yummy

Service great, prices what you would exsoect to pay for the area, cheap to me as come from North area. Food to die for I am there this weekend and I shall visit thats for sure. Happy eating

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Fish and Chips

Barnacles fish and chip restaurant in Billingham

is really good for a sit down meal (proudly chip shop of the year 1990.....). The Stockton version is not as good.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,549 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Fish and Chips

The best fish and chips always used to be from 'Old' Hartlepool, opposite the park by St Hilda's Church, think the shop was called Verrell's or something like that. But it is 40 years since I tasted them LOL.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Fish and Chips

As the song 'No More Frying Bacon' (roughly) goes:

Frying bacon you must not

You'll have to get patties from Verrells Fish Shop

The song tells the story of how the message 'No more firing beacons' was corrupted to 'No more fryng bacon' by the time it got to Hartlepool!

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,549 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Fish and Chips

So Joe

Did I get the name right and is it still there?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Fish and Chips

Not sure how it is spelt but that is certainly pretty close if not exact - not sure if it is still there - a few years since I went over to the Headland for beer & chips!

hartlepool
Level Contributor
248 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Fish and Chips

Indeed Verrills is still there and is (in my opinion) the best fish and chips in the town! Got to get down there early to get to the front of the queue..

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Fish and Chips

Nice to hear some things never change! Must call in on next visit home!

hartlepool...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Fish and Chips

king cods seaton carew coronation drive, hartlepool, is simply the best fish n chip restaurant, which has a friendly atmosphere and for service nice friendly staff, and an amazing environment, lovely view of the sea etc....all food is freshly cooked to order, with a waiting time of approx 10 mins if you sit in restaurant, approx 6-7 if you takeout....please also bear in mind that if the restaurant is busy there could be a short delay due to the fact that you can only cook so much at a time.......they have a wide veriety of food on their menus....home made cheese n mozzerella patties are a must try, with a few spring onions

the size of the fish portions are as follows - small 4oz

- regular 6oz

and theall famous 'KING COD' - large 9oz

Get answers to your questions about Hartlepool