We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

wauwatosa
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

We are world class non travelers and have been invited to stay with friends in bangor in June/July of 2011. Can those who travel or reside there help us find the least expensive way to get there? I hear mention of Ryan Air but don't know if that's a small airline that only goes from certain London hubs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We're starting early.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

london
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

have you booked your flights yet, and if so which airport are you flying into? ... for Bangor the most convenient airport that has transatlantic flights might be Manchester ... but you would need to check out where you get the best deals ... it might be that you get cheaper tickets flying into one of the London airports like Heathrow or Gatwick

I'm not aware of any airline operating to Bangor ... I think you would need to look at getting there by train from one of the major airports ... once you're in the country you can easily get a train to Bangor ... for trains check on www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/… ... you can get some good discounted tickets for trains if you book in advance, usually they release the discounted tickets about three months ahead so it's too early to get them yet

once you have decided which airport to fly into, post another question and we can give you detailed instructions of how to get to Bangor

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

surely there is an airport in Northern Ireland? Belfast perhaps.

Mentioned in this post
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
wauwatosa
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

thank you both for your reply. i haven't booked anything because it's greater than 1 yr in advance and we'll be traveling late June or July. I assumed we'd need to fly into belfast but know very little about how to best get to bangor. In order to research flights I was hoping to get more info on the better or most convenient travel plan, i.e. heathrow vs. gatwick. We'd most likely drive to Chicago and fly from there. London seems to get discounted airfares from the US so it might be london to belfast. I was hoping to speak to those who have traelled from the US to see what routes they may have taken.

Thanks again for your replies.

I learn so much every time I visit. It's a great resource.

Blue Lou

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

Are we all 100% certain we are talking about Bangor, Northern Ireland? Is that where you want to go?

With the mention of Manchester as the nearest main airport I suspect cazinatutu is confusing it with Bangor, north Wales.

I highly doubt any flight to London is going to be so much cheaper than a flight to Belfast that this negates the inconvenience and hassle of having to change flights (and airports. That could take hours and hours to get round London, carrying your bags) on to a budget airline flight (probably only allowd 10kg hand luggage. have to pay to check in anything else). I would only do this if it was any $100s cheaper, especially if I was an inexperienced traveller.

You might also want to look into flights to Dublin as it is a short and easy train ride from there to Belfast.

Can your friends pick you up from Belfast airport?

There is an air travel forum at trip advisor somewhere. If your main concern is flight price the people there may be able to advise you where to look.

Mentioned in this post
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
london
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

yes, I had Bangor in north Wales in mind ... I've just noticed you'd posted this in the Northern Ireland category, sorry !!!

Edited: 30 June 2010, 21:20
Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

Continental fly direct from Newark to Belfast International Airport. From there you can get the airport bus into Belfast city centre (Europa/Great Victoria St station) which takes 20-30 minutes. From Great Victoria Street you can get a train or bus to Bangor which is only about 15 miles away.

Another option is to fly via London. There are frequent flights from both London Heathrow and London Gatwick to Belfast. Check out aer lingus, easyjet, flybe, bmibaby. With these low cost carriers, it is usually best to book earlier. The likes of aer lingus and easyjet also have sales so you can sometimes snap up a bargain if you sign on for their newsletter. Just note that there are two airports in Belfast - Belfast International (about 20 miles north of Belfast) and Belfast City. Belfat City

would be closer to Bangor by about 20-30 minutes drive time.

The other option is to fly to Dublin. Buses leave regularly at least every hour (Ulsterbus/Bus Eireann operate 24 hours per day, aircoach stops services at 9pm) from outside the terminal to Belfast Europa/Great Victoria Street Station. The bus is reliable and also quite cheap.

Hope that helps - if you do need more specific information or weblinks, let us know.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

Re Ryanair

They fly within Europe and the flight to Belfast is from London Stanstead to Belfast City. So you would need to check that your flight from Chicago flies into Stanstead which is probably unlikely. Most international flights go into either Heathrow or Gatwick.

I have never flown Ryanair and have no desire to do so but it has its fans - and a lot of critics. One thing to watch for is that Ryanair is notorious for advertising cheap flights but charging for almost EVERYTHING. So you can end up paying more than other airlines. If you aren't used to flying or checking for hidden costs, I would avoid Ryanair.

That is something to be aware of if you come via London as you may find you have to pay for luggage, credit card fees etc. The low cost carriers often charge extras and you normally have to remove their insurance option which they include automatically - but that is easy to do.

Hope that helps! I suspect your best bet might be to fly into Dublin and bus it unless you get a very good deal to London. If you do fly to London, make sure you allow at least 3 hours in between flight times to change terminal. I always allow about 5 hours in case of delays.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

You might want to benchmark against direct flights from ORD to DUB. I'm sure your friends would collect you.

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,816 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

Your best bet is to fly to Belfast city airport, it' only 10 miles into Bangor from there, well 10.2 miles to be exact, surely the people you are staying with will collect you at the airport ?

You can fly from London on british midland , flybe, and easyjet.

www.flybmi.com ...........from HEATHROW AIRPORT

www.flybe.com ...........from GATWICK AIRPORT

www.easyjet.com .......from LONDON LUTON.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dear Bangor expert Travelers- our first trip from Chicago

Of course BHD is very close to Bangor but it doesn't mean that it is the best airport to use in terms of cost or convenience if you consider total door-to-door journey times.

I therefore suggest you benchmark using ORD-DUB in terms of fare and total journey times and then compare to flying into either of the Belfast airports. The issue is that through-ticket fares into Belfast are usually dearer. If you consider separate ticketing via LHR, LGW or MAN then how long do you leave between flights? If you want to use Ryanair from London then you need to transfer to STN. Check out how much that will cost and how long it will take.

If you opt for separate ticketing then consider the baggage allowances on the domestic sector. For some reason American travellers seem unable to travel light. I recently stood behind several at the BM bag drop at BHD forking out in excess of GBP200 just to take an extra bag to LHR. OUCH!! I should point out that B&Q have a store right beside BHD where you can nip in straight after you land and purchase a kitchen sink!

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Get answers to your questions about Bangor