We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on what to do!

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
advice on what to do!

Hi, im planning a short trip to Bodmin next week with friends and not sure what to fill our last day with. First day is crime-themed: the courtroom experience, the jail and the murder-mystery train. On the second I'm torn between hiring cycles and doing the Camel Trail and walking on the moor (so would greatly appreciate opinions on that!) The third is sort of an afterthought- since checking travel times today I've realised that our train isn't leaving until 5 so we essentially have another day in the town. None of us drive so whatever we do is limited to Bodmin itself or somewhere nearby by bus. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
The Camel Trail
The Camel Trail
481 Reviews
Padstow, UK
Bodmin
Bodmin
Cornwall, UK
Bodmin Moor
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Cornwall's Regimental Museum
Military Museums, History Museums
Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
920 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on what to do!

Hi MTWLondon

I have done both cycling on the Camel Trail and walking on the Moors :)

I think to be honest you are going to be governed slightly by the weather....it's been awful here :(

If it's a really nice clear day - head for the Moors a great place for amazing scenerey is Cheesewring Quarry and Stowes Hill

near Minions, South East Bodmin Moor. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED !!!

However, if it's a slightly dull day or drizzly day then head for the Camel Trail the trail which you will follow will be muddy but you will also gain some protection from the trees etc.,

Have a lovely time :) Caz

Mentioned in this post
The Camel Trail
The Camel Trail
481 Reviews
Padstow, UK
Bodmin Moor
Bodmin Moor
145 Reviews
Bodmin, UK
Cornwall
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on what to do!

If transport is a problem I would opt for hiring a bike and pedaling up river on the Camel Trail which will then get you on to the edge of Bodmin. The trail from Bodmin up towards Wenford Bridge is a little harder going than some of the other sections of the trail, but it is still pretty flat and is realtively sheltered with some interesting scenery. When you reach Merry Meeting you could always take a detour of the trail & up to the unspoilt little moorland village of Blisland (just over half a mile from the trail) and have lunch outside the pub overlooking the village green. There is also an interesting church if that's sort of thing floats your boat. On the open moor just above Blisland is Jubilee Rock.

Of course, going down river from Bodmin to Padstow on the trail is beautiful on a nice day.

The weather seems to be improving!

Mentioned in this post
The Camel Trail
The Camel Trail
481 Reviews
Padstow, UK
Bodmin
Bodmin
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on what to do!

Sorry my first sentence in the previous posting should end with "the edge of Bodmin Moor" not "Bodmin"!

Mentioned in this post
Bodmin Moor
Bodmin Moor
145 Reviews
Bodmin, UK
Bodmin
Bodmin
Cornwall, UK
4. Re: advice on what to do!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 21:16