We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bodmin Parkway Railway Station - Parking?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bodmin Parkway Railway Station - Parking?

Hi, my sister and I will be in Cornwall in October next year and I've just seen that the Oyster Festival will be on in Falmouth at the time we are there. We're staying in Port Isaac and, rather than drive down to Falmouth and try to find parking, we thought we might take a train from Bodmin Parkway. Is it difficult to park there on a weekday, arriving at say 10am?

If this isn't the best way to get there, could someone please let me have suggestions - e.g. does Falmouth have a Park & Ride system like they have in various other parts of the country (eg Chester, Bath, etc).

thanks in advance :-)

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bodmin Parkway Railway Station - Parking?

Almost by definition, a Parkway station has a substantial car park, so using the train to get to Falmouth wold be worth investigating further. You would have to change at Truro. See www.nationalrail.co.uk

There does not seem to be a regular Park & Ride service at Falmouth, although they may arrange something for the festival.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bodmin Parkway Railway Station - Parking?

Thanks railtraveller65. After posting yesterday, I looked at public transport from Padstow and there is a bus service connecting to Bodmin Parkway, then train to Truro, changing for Falmouth, but the journey is about 2.5 hours. The drive from Port Isaac to Bodmin Parkway is only about half an hour or so (according to Google Maps) and the train journey is only about 1.25 hours, so leaving the car at Bodmin Parkway seems the better option. We've been to Falmouth before (by train from Truro) and I thought trying to find a parking spot there, during a festival, might be tricky.

My concern about capacity at Bodmin Parkway was because I thought the car park might fill up early with commuters' vehicles. Our local station has about 500 under cover spaces and about the same open air spaces and the under cover ones are all taken by 6.45 am and the others are full too by 7.30am-ish. Hence I'm concerned that Bodmin Parkway may be similar and we might get there, only to find it full and no parking on the streets.

We'll just have to chance our luck, I suppose :-)

Cheers

Susan

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bodmin Parkway Railway Station - Parking?

Bodmin Parkway does often get full, so there is no guarantee of getting a space mid morning,though a plus point is at the moment there is no charge to park.

Falmouth operates a park and float service where you park your car and take a boat into the town area.

I estimate it would take no more than 1.5 hours to drive from Port Isaac to Falmouth in October.

Falmouth often has festivals and is geared up to deal with a big influx of cars,though some delays are possible.

I would in your position, if i had use of a car, definitley drive there,as you will save loads of time, and i would think the costs would be cheaper too than bus and train.

Just my opinions and i think there is a Falmouth expert on here who will advise you more of the details at that end.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bodmin Parkway Railway Station - Parking?

Oh forgot to say--- if Bodmin Psrkway station car park is full, there is absolutely no mwhere else to park nearby. It is in the middle of no where by a main road,with no off road parking nearby.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,563 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bodmin Parkway Railway Station - Parking?

I would have thought Falmouth will lay on loads of extra parking for the festival, but if you don't fancy trying that, why not drive to Truro, use the park and ride, and then take the train to Falmouth? That way you are only using one train instead of trying to juggle connections with two.

I have seen Bodmin Parkway full from early on a weekday morning, and like the previous poster said, there is absolutely nowhere else to park around there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bodmin Parkway Railway Station - Parking?

Thanks for all the advice - looks like driving to Truro may be our best option and then taking the train to Falmouth. We've stayed in Truro before (but without a car - we relied on public transport on our first UK trip), so we've got an OK idea of the 'lay of the land' so to speak, so I'll google the location of the Truro park and ride. It doesn't really matter how long the drive is from Port Isaac to Truro; it'll be nothing in comparison to the drive we'll have from Chester to Keith in Scotland!! It'll be a case of "Stop, Revive, Survive", as we have posted all over our roads here, on that day!

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bodmin Parkway Railway Station - Parking?

There is a large car park at Truro station and, by the time you are in the area, the Falmouth branch line will be running on a new 30 minute frequency. Falmouth Town station is very close to the Oyster Festival site.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bodmin Parkway Railway Station - Parking?

Thanks for the update Ian - my mouth waters as I type, thinking of all those lovely, creamy, delicious oysters ..... and other seafood delights as well :-) To be back in Cornwall, eating seafood - it's the thing dreams are made of :-)

9. Re: Bodmin Parkway Railway Station - Parking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 13:17