We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a little help

Spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
a little help

Hi there,

We are a fsmily of 4,(boys of 19 and 14) we are looking forward to our visit to Cornwall

We'll arrive at Bristol airport on the 12 th August, we are not driving so coach, bus or train required. We can get to Bodmind on the 12th and I want some advice please as to sort out our stay:

1- We'd like to visit, Bodmind, Wadebridge, Rock, Port Isaac, Padstow, heard of Clovelly but feel its too far perhaps

where will you recomend to stay as a base.Any nice walks or things to do around those places?

2- Visit Golitha falls,( walks around no longer than 2 h?)

3- rent bicycles and do a nice family ride along Camel trail (sweet teeth that we are...a nice cream tea along the way please)

4- visiting Bolverton and jamaica Inn?? anything interesting doing around?

5- How many days stay will be suitable?

We intend to travell further south ending up our hols in a place like St Ives or Truro or even Bodmind again as to catch a coach or train again on the 20th up to Bristol airport.

Any suggestion, walk, trip, activitie....will be more than wellcome!

Reading it all it seems we are being a bit greedy but really I want it to be a life time gathering together with our sons and we are looking forward to it all.

Many thanks in advance xxx

17 replies to this topic
Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
881 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a little help

Very quick first question Capricorn: where have you booked accommodation? As that will be key to what possibilities you have.

Regards,

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,950 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a little help

You may find it difficult without a car, a lot of planning will be needed. I would cut out Jamacia Inn as it is just a commercial place now, but as TravelHappy said you must book accommodation soon as it is the height of the holiday season.

Look to travel from Bristol by train

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx…

or coach

www.nationalexpress.com

These will give you the places you can arrive at.

You will then need buses. I suggest you post your question on the Cornwall forum and you will get more answers, transport in Cornwall etc.

Edited: 15 July 2011, 18:37
Spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: a little help

Hi,

No booked acommodation yet.

I wonder where you would suggest ?

Many thanks,

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
881 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a little help

In all honesty Capricorn, maybe try this next year. At such short notice, and with so many complicating factors (i.e. no car, diverse programme, height of season when many accommodations require minimum stay of 3 nights or more), this really does look like a mission impossible.

Camping would be your only option now,but without a car, this will be extremely difficult.

But hey, that is just my view....

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,950 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a little help

You need to know which towns the buses go to. How long they take.

Many hotels will be booked already as this is the busiest time of year. Also they often require 7 day stay at this time of year.

To start decide if you will go to Cornwall by train or coach. They only stop in some towns. Choose the best one and let us know which it is. Perhaps we can then find accomodation in that town.

As HappyTraveller says It requires a lot of research.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a little help

Ok, I will take a stab at this as it looks like you want someone to tell you where to go, and where to stay.

Train to Bodmin Parkway from Bristol. Then get the 555 bus to Padstow. Hopefully if you act now, you will find some accommodation in Padstow. I would stay in Padstow for the whole time.

You won't be able to get to Jamaica Inn on public transport, no real loss in my opinion, but you also won't be able to get to Golitha Falls, which is a shame because it is a beautiful place.

You will be able to ride bikes on the Camel Trail. You can also walk part of the Saint's Way (or all of it if you feel fit!).

http://www.cornwalltour.co.uk/saints_way.htm

You will be able to visit Port Isaac by bus, also Tintagel and Boscastle.

Take day trip to St Ives using bus and trains.

Enjoy all the lovely beaches around the Camel Estuary.

Hope this gives you some ideas

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a little help

That's good advice.

I'd also like to suggest staying in the Rock area which has easy access to Padstow via the ferry and would probably be easier to get to Port Isaac etc., by bus as well as having plenty in the immediate area to explore on foot.

John Bray has a couple of self catering properties left in Rock for that week so it may be worth a look at their website.

Getting around would be so much easier with a car though. Might it be worth reconsidering?

Edited: 15 July 2011, 23:46
Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
756 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a little help

Port Isaac,Wadebridge,Padstow, Boscastle,Bude are all fairly easy to get to from Tintagel by bus although the last bus back from Wadebridge area is quite early I think, around 5 PM but should be time enough the see the camel trail and surrounding area.

Tintagel is rarely full as far as accommodation and if you can telephone a couple of days ahead there should be no problems.

If you can drive you can get the train to Bodmin and a local car hire company nearby can collect you at the station.

I don't think I am allowed to say the company but you could send me a PM if you like.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a little help

Tintagel would be an ok base if you take the excellent suggestion about hiring a car. If you are using public rtansport though, it's not an easy place to reach from the station and not so convenient for public transport for days out.

Spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: a little help

Thank you all,

Annabell, It has taken a bit of thinking but we have decided to rent a car at Bristol airport and then head to Corwall.

Its our first time driving in Uk, and we felt it would be more relaxing travelling by buses or trains ....but we'll chance it .

We will stay 9 days around all together.

Probably we'll stay in Padstow and spend there 2 or 3 days.

- Tintagel (Castle's walk), and visiting Port Isaac,

- Rock, , Wadebridge to Bodmind (Camel trail (on Bicycle)

- Golitha falls, Hurlers Stone? ,

- Lanhydrock NT

- Drive from Padstow to Newquay (visiting town and scenery)

Any suggestion on days and places.... very wellcome

Then will go South to St Ives for example....I know I know stilll nothing booked! but now having the car, sure will find somewhere to stay.

Many thanks.....I 'll keep on posting...

-

Reply to: a little help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted