We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agia Roumeli storage

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
593 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Agia Roumeli storage

In a couple of weeks we are taking the ferry from Sfakia to Sougia. The ferry stops at Agia Roumeli for a few hours and we plan to head to a beach to the east.

Do Anendyk have storage at the dock to leave a bag or would a local taverna offer to look after it?

thanks

11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agia Roumeli storage

There is no Anendyk depot. Go to Tarra, the taverna you will see on the right when you disembark. They will look after your things for you. It would of course be polite to have an orange juice or something first.

It sounds from your question that you don't know Agia Roumeli, so I'll just say that you'll be hard put to find as good a beach as the beach right there. It is huge, and if you walk along it to the west a few hundred meters you will be virtually on your own. But if you do want to head east, go to Agios Pavlos, about an hour's walk away. It is a great beach, with a Byzantine church as well as an excellent taverna, and worth the effort,

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
996 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agia Roumeli storage

I don't think the boat stops in a few hours in Agia Roumeli. the boat goes up and down between Sfakia and Paliohora. You could take the early boat from Sfakia to Agia Roumeli, stay there and take the afternoon boat from Agia Roumeli to Sougia. If you haven't seen Samaria, you can see part of it the easy way.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
593 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agia Roumeli storage

Thanks Alabastron and George T.

We are not checking out of our hotel until Noon. The plan is to get the 1pm Sfakia ferry to A.R. and have lunch at a taverna on arrival.

A couple of years back we enjoyed a great walk to Agios Pavlos beach (surely one Crete's finest and quietest) and intend to go half way this time. We would then get the 5.30 ferry to Sougia.

thanks again

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agia Roumeli storage

George, is this now the case? The ferry has never done the entire journey from Sfakia to Paleochora. One boat does the Sfakia-Roumeli section, another the Roumeli-Paleochora section. The morning ferry from Sfakia arrives in Roumeli at about 12, and if one is doing the whole journey one has a 5-hour wait in Roumeli for the ferry to Sougia.

This has been so for the past 20 years - but I haven't been to Sfakia since May 2011. Has the schedule changed this year?

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
996 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agia Roumeli storage

Oups, Alabastron is right, there are 2 different boats, with intermediate stop in Agia Roumeli. There are different timetables for September and October, but the trip Sfakia to Agia Roumeli is the same at 10:30 and 13:00.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Agia Roumeli storage

It's sounds like that you'll be heading to my favorite swimming spot on the south coast which is among the rocks below the entrance to the Eligas Gorge. This is about 1/2 way to Agios Pavlos. You'll be completely isolated there assuming some one isn't already there as this spot isn't a secret.

As far as storage goes, I've always just left my pack on the boat. It will be as safe there as anywhere.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agia Roumeli storage

Roger, if they are travelling on to Sougia, it will be by a different boat. The one they've come on will be returning to Loutro and Chora Sfakion.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Agia Roumeli storage

Alabastron, I'm not al all certain that it will be a different boat. From my reading of the ferry schedule for september there are 2 big car carrying ferries and 1 passenger only boat.

It looks to me like the 8:30 ferry that leaves Paleohora goes all the way to Sfakia in the morning. It then leaves Sfakia at 1300 heading to Agia Roumeli where it stops for a few hours before going back toward Paleohora at 1730.

I know things change all the time with the ferries but I have left my pack on the boat in Agia Roumeli twice in the past few years while spending a couple of hours there.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
593 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Agia Roumeli storage

Just an update on how we got on.

Alabastron - you were spot on about Tarra. They have shelving for leaving bags on. The staff were very friendly and we ate/drank before heading east a little to find a beach and again on our early return due to a thunder and lightening storm. The boat (Samaria) at 5.30pm that took us on to Sougia was the same we one caught at 1pm from Sfakia. We did wonder if we could have just left our gear on had we known.

Thanks for your input on the matter folks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Agia Roumeli storage

Eros,

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that the Neptune (the really small ferry) is no longer making the trip from Agia Roumeli to Sougia.

Reply to: Agia Roumeli storage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sougia