We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Storm Chantal

Louisiana
Level Contributor
72 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Tropical Storm Chantal

Hi, does anyone have any information regarding the tropical storm? We are supposed to go to Cap on Wednesday and I am wondering if a tropical storm usually knocks out power on the island and how long it will usually be until restored. Being from Louisiana, I totally understand that there is no way to know anything for sure until it actually hits, but I didn't know if anyone had any experience with this. Thanks!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

As you totally understand there's no way to know till it actually hits, then please do understand, there's nothing to tell you till it passes. Some TS's pass with absolutely no damage, just some wind and rain and some decide to linger in the mountains and cause flooding and everthing in between. Till Chantall hits, no way to know how much damage (if any) or power outs (if any) or how long they may last etc. Generally, high winds and lots of rain, thunder/lightning and there will probably be outages in some areas around the island, which can be restored very quickly if it's not too bad or make take a day or 3 if it's very extensive.

Most hotels/resorts have generators and their own water storage so any disruption to visitors is very minimal. As it should be cleared out by Tues night, there shouldn't be any problems with arrivals - although again, simply no way to know till it actually passes.

As there's nothing you can do about it - it's weather! - keep an eye on it and monitor updates, a good site is www.stormcarib.com - there will be updates from locals on the island as long as there is power/internet.

Enjoy your visit!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

Bon jou tout moun,

ETA TS Chantal tomorrow, Tuesday 10 July, during the daylight hours.

In St. Lucia all schools, banks, businesses, non-essential services and airports will be closed.

Jah Protect! Paul

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

Stay safe, all.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

I sure hope it blows right past and everyone comes through unscathed.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
188 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

Hang tough.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain...

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

Toronto got hit hard with rain yesterday - practically crippled the city with flooding, but at least we don't have to worry about landslides or high winds. I'm praying for the safety of St Lucia and the other islands in the path of Chantal.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

seems the worst of it has passed St Lucia but it's gaining strength as it continues to track northwest

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

Eh-eh gdbear65... blowing & raining hard now! Internet & phones still up!

Edited: 09 July 2013, 18:12
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

good to hear - stay safe!

Get answers to your questions about Cap Estate