We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe trip

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Europe trip

Hi I'm planning a family trip to Europe on April 2015 for 3 weeks. The countries I'm the thinking now are Italy, Switzerland, France, and England. One or two cities in each country. Can anyone please advice whether it would be enough time and also suggestion for travel routes by plane or train. We are traveling from Adelaide Australia

8 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe trip

a) you're on the wrong forum -- you've posted on the forum for a tiny region of a corner of France, and most people won't even see it.

b) You really, really need to narrow things down -- you've listed four entire countries that, distance-wise combined cover nearly as many square kilometres as the entire continent of Australia. Travel routes and suggestions for train or plane depend entirely on what cities you plan to see....and without knowing a single thing about you or your travel plans, you have to at least point people in the the broad general direction.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe trip

That's a bit like travelling Hobart to Broome in three weeks. Possible but you will bypass so many interesting places.

I went from Milan (in nthn Italy) via Lake Maggiore into Switzerland (several two night stops) across the south then nth thru Bern and Basel, into France....all by train. Swiss and French rail works well. Start in the south of Italy or try to include England and it will more challenging

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe trip

Sorry. Duplicated post

Edited: 12 July 2014, 15:26
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe trip

A few real basics. Investigate open-jaw flights so that you fly into an airport at one end of the trip, possibly London and then home from the other, possibly Rome. I have put them in that order because you may find it easier when coping with possible jet lag etc to be in a contry where we speak the same language (more or less). It would be quite possible to do the whole trip by train, In England, from London you cold do one or two day trips to other cities in the south of the country (Bath, Cambridge, Oxford, Brighton as examples). Then Eurostar train to Paris. There are a variety of options from there to and through Switzerland most of which would eventualy lead to Milan and then on to Rome. For advice on rail travel have a look at www.seat61.com as well as following Sunshines advice on lookin at some guidebooks.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe trip

You need to give much more information. What's a family trip? A couple plus one child? two? three? grandparents? Ages of children? General interests? If you're going to do an alpine region of France or Italy do you need to do Switzerland too? It depends on what you like doing. Please give us a clue!!

I think the OP may have mistaken Eure for Europe Sunshine! :)

Edited: 12 July 2014, 16:13
Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe trip

thanks for your reply. there are 3 of us, myself, my husband and our 13 years old daughter.

the cities that we are thinking to visit are Rome, Venice in Italy, Geneva or Zurich in Switzerland, Paris in France and London in England in 3 weeks. We can skip Switzerland if we could do an alpine region of France of Italy. so from Aus to Rome (by airplane) then to Venice by train and then towards Switzerland, France and then end our trip in London. we do like to do an alpine region and if can do in in France or Italy then don't mind to skip Switzerland.

yes, i think i am in a wrong forum. any idea of which forum suits best for my trip?

thanks

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe trip

I think the Paris forum is extremely active, with many very seasoned travelers.

But I'd probably also post in London and Rome, as well as maybe the Swiss city you're considering.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,431 posts
850 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe trip

I recommend that you post this question on the Road Trips forum since you are traveling to multiple cities/countries.

Reply to: Europe trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Eure