We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we base ourselves?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
65 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we base ourselves?

Hi! I've been reading lots on this forum and other sites about the Abacos, and we are ready start planning our first trip! Yay! Still trying to figure out where the best place for us is. We are a family of 4, with the young teenagers. We like low-key, not too touristy, but we want a place where we can either walk, boat, or cart to outdoor restaurants, bars and maybe some local shops and markets.

Husband likes to fish and snorkel. He will love the idea of renting a boat for the week. I just like to relax with great views...a book and a drink. Kids are flexible and will adapt to wherever we are.

I was thinking Elbow Cay might be the best bet for us. I do not want to have to drive a car to go anywhere, and I would like a small island that is friendly and safe. We have been to Eleuthera, which we loved, but the driving became tiring.

Am I thinking right? Is there another island that might work better for us? If Elbow is on the right track, which area of Elbow would be best for us? I read that it might be best to stay anywhere between Hope Town and the south end because of not being allowed to take the golf cart through Hope Town. Is this right? Is it possible to rent a house with a beach view and a dock, or do you just decide on 1 or the other?

Lastly, do people normally fly into Marsh Harbor? Then do you take a ferry?

Thanks so much for any advise! Wish we were there now!

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we base ourselves?

I think Elbow Cay is your best bet. It's pretty centrlalized for island hopping and has several bars and restaurants as well as some shops in Hope Town. Be sure you head over to Lubber's Landing one Day for lunch and try thier Island Burger. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. Also check out www.abacoforum.com

Edited: 16 May 2014, 21:53
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we base ourselves?

Yes, fly into MHH- take a taxi to the ferry - be sure to specify WHICH ferry (or which cay you are headed towards) as there are 2 different ferry docks that are not in the same location.

Yes, take ferry to Elbow Cay.

I very much agree with Jason about Elbow. Personally, for a first trip, I would stay fairly close to Hopetown, maybe just south of there or in the settlement itself so you can walk, bike, etc. to local restaurants, shops, etc. and the kids can have a little space, too. Many of the houses on the beach have a dock, shared dock, or dock space for your boat on the other side but be sure to ask!!!

Having a cart as well as a boat will allow you lots of freedom and options.

Also, be aware that if you buy a drink or lunch your kids can swim at the "resorts" (Hopetown Harbour Lodge, Abaco Inn, SeaSpray) which is a good option, too, if you rent a house without a pool. It all depends on what you want to spend as there is a large range of house sizes and rental prices.

Do check the abaco forum as it is very helpful. Also vrbo.com and there are several realty companies on Elbow as well that can help you. You may even want to look at the Butterfly House on the property of HHL with full resort amenities in a house.

Have a great time!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we base ourselves?

PS You summed up my feelings about Eleuthera exactly!!

Lubbers Quarters
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we base ourselves?

Lubbers Quarters, a 10-15 minute boat ride from Hope Town seems to fit all your requirements for a vacation for your family of 4. It's definitely not touristy, is quiet and secluded. There are only 2 restaurants on the island, both with beautiful views and good food. There are no other commercial establishments, although a local fisherman sells fish, and a local lady bakes breads and pizzas (delivered to your cottage). Lubbers is 1 1/2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide. With a rental boat, you're 5 to 30 minutes from great snorkeling, fishing, beautiful beaches, restaurants, shops, etc. There are also beaches right on Lubbers.

5. Re: Where should we base ourselves?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Abaco Islands