We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gili islands for a single female?

Sutton Coldfield
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Gili islands for a single female?

I am wanting to escape the city for a while and the Gili islans is somewhere i have always wanted to visit, it has everything i am looking for.

I am a single female in my mid 20's. i have travelled before but not alone for so long. Is the Gili's a good place to meet other people and have fun, would safety also be an issue (obviously within reason, i think i am sensible enough to watch out for obvious dangers)

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gili islands for a single female?

The Gili islands are a popular and pleasant destination.

In regard to issues of personal safety be alert to opportunist predators and generally miscreants, they may be present on the Gili islands amongst either the local or the visiting population.

However it the islands are overall a very relaxed and friendly place to visit.

The normal cautions apply to over amorous promotions and monitor any drinks you may be consuming carefully. If in doubt don't consume it, and if in doubt about any person or persons then avoid them or seek assistance.

Obviously if traveling alone there is an extra element of vulnerability.

Have a great visit to the Gili islands.

2. Re: Gili islands for a single female?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 15:53
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gili islands for a single female?

great place to meet people. as advised there are undesireables there. drinks are the main thing to watch, even from a bar. drink spiking does occur there.

Sutton Coldfield
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gili islands for a single female?

Thanks for your help guys, obviously alone i won't be getting too drunk! The main thing i wanted to check was whether it was a good place to meet other people travelling.

5. Re: Gili islands for a single female?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 15:53
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gili islands for a single female?

Have you already been there Tracy? What do you think?

I'v been traveling by myself as well and really liked the Gili's. There was only one thing that really surprised me which were the man. They were very friendy but also extremely interested in single western female. When I was there in March this year, they followed me everywhere and told me that they loved me for real (after a small talk). The first days I followed some guys for snorkeling or for a drink but they expected to be together already. It was not only talking, they tried to convience me that I will break there heart if I choose someone else. And that happened not only once but many times. It was a bizar experience that I never experienced anywhere before. Besides that it was very easy to find a room (in lowseason) and very difficult and expensive in highseason. I hope you will have/or had a great time!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gili islands for a single female?

I agree the local boys can be completely over the top pursuing single western women. Somehow they have got it into their head that single western women want to have a love affair on holiday and culturally the concept of casual relationships is hard for them to grasp, hence the protestations of undying love after a 5 minute conversation!

It's a bit tricky because you probably want to be naturally friendly, but unfortunately they can be a pest. Especially if they know you are alone. My tip is to see if you can make friends with a nice western guy who will pretend to be your boyfriend and then they will go away. Mostly.

Other than that, it is a great place to relax and have fun.

8. Re: Gili islands for a single female?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 06:16