We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches near Muscat Oman

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches near Muscat Oman

I am going on a cruise next month. We have 2 days in Muscat, one of the days we would like to visit a nice beach.

The cruise line offers a trip to a beach but it is far too expensice (£37!). We therefore just want to get a taxi to a nice beach ourselves.

Can anyone recommend a good beach not too far away from the port whihc has some nearby facilities e.g. shops, some where for a drink etc.

Thank you

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
17,498 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches near Muscat Oman

I suspect the Cruise ship excursion will take you to a hotel beach, with all the proper facilities.

I am afraid that if you are seeking a beach with "shops,somewhere for a drink" you are out of luck as none of the decent public beaches have these.

The local experts may come up with some day pass options - maybe to Oman Dive Center or Hotels but by the time you pay for a return taxi and entrance fees you will not save much,unless 4 of you share a taxi.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches near Muscat Oman

I agree with the always helpful silverswimmer. The port is on the south side of the city, and is a decent distance from most everything. I would say that the only beach that would be suitable nearby would be ODC (Oman Dive Center). By the time you factor in the taxi and the entry fee, you're paying quite a bit. At the hotels you can expect to pay 10 rial ($26) just to get in. While there are beaches NOT associated with hotels, dancing around in swimming attire is hardly a good idea. Want drinks? Good luck... for that you pretty much need to be at one of the hotels or ODC (marina also serves, but no beach that I know of). There is no culture in Oman of laying out on a beach, so you won't be able to find facilities directed at sunbathers. I would say that Omanis would be surprised to know that beaches were not created to play football on. It is also worth noting that taxis in Muscat are fairly expensive, even more so if you are clearly a tourist.

You can definitely try to find something on your own, but I would still suggest a day pass at a hotel.

Melbourne
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches near Muscat Oman

Hi,

Not very agreed with ODC, as if you aren't lucky and go at low tide, there no point to go. Only good point is that this area of Muscat is so beautiful, with the road in the middle of the mountain, without speaking of the color of the mountains.

I lived 1 year and half in Muscat and every single week endI use to go to a beach in Qurum, close to PDO recreation center. There is no shop over there so the best is a stop at a pertol station and buy some drink/food. The beach is a ood place for snorkelling and if you're lucky enough, you can see turtles, cuttlefish....

Otherwise you can go to Marjan beach, with restaurant around it. Nice view.

4. Re: Beaches near Muscat Oman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 12:17