We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget hotel close to shopping.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Budget hotel close to shopping.

I have looked at several reviews of these hotels but still find it difficult to decide.

Does the Business district also mean the shopping district. ?

Is it better to stay in the Mutrah area to the east of there.? On the maps there appear to be 2 or three distinct areas, besides the beach area.

If we stayed in an outer area are there public transport services or just taxi services.

Hotels viewed: Golden Oasis, Mutrah Hotel, Safeer International, Safeer Hotel Suites, Safeer, Continental, Delmon Hotel Apartments, Safeer Plaza,

I did not find actually TA reviews, but reviews by other people on Booking .com. For the same hotel there were such contradictory reviews!

Do any TAers have an opinion? Please.

Mentioned in this post
Mutrah Hotel
Mutrah Hotel
338 Reviews
Muscat, Oman
Delmon Hotel Apartments
Delmon Hotel Apartments
90 Reviews
Muscat, Oman
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,712 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget hotel close to shopping.

I am not sure what shopping you want to do?.

There are malls but they are no way near the size or variety of Dubai.

Oman is not seen as a "shopping" destination.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Oman
Oman
Middle East
East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget hotel close to shopping.

Souks, markets, People watching, iconic places to visit. Just generally getting around .

Walking, Public transport, Bus tour or walking tour of city.

Those sort of things.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget hotel close to shopping.

Eek. Oman is not a walking country. It just isn't in the culture, so it was never incorporated into city planning. Everything (in Muscat at least) is spread along Sultan Qaboos highway in different areas.

Ruwi is the business district, and it is NOT ideal for your goals imho. I would suggest staying in either Muttrah or up closer to Seeb, as these are (once again, imo) the best areas if you just want to walk around and do some shopping. Otherwise I may suggest heading out of Muscat to Nizwa, as it has a small (very small) town feel to it.

Mentioned in this post
Oman
Oman
Middle East
Muscat
Muscat
Muscat Governorate, Oman
East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget hotel close to shopping.

Thankyou, greasy, for your reply. Muttrah sounds good. I was looking in that direction because the literature mentions a souk.

Is there public transport to Nizwa? or do I need to hire a vehicle?

How far is Nizwa from Muscat - Muttrah?

Is the road sealed? Can we buy food there or along the way, or carry it from Muttrah?

Mentioned in this post
Muscat
Muscat
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget hotel close to shopping.

You can take shared taxis to Nizwa. It comes out to 2 rial/person I think. Unfortunately I'm not sure where they depart from. The road is sealed, and you can buy most of what you would want in Nizwa. It is a small city, but it is still a city. The drive should talk an hour and a half or so, probably depending on the taxi driver.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget hotel close to shopping.

OK, thanks.

7. Re: Budget hotel close to shopping.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2012, 07:28