We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How easy to get a taxi at Port of Muscat to Nizwa?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How easy to get a taxi at Port of Muscat to Nizwa?

Jan. 31 coming on a ship. 3 pax.

Price?

Will the driver take USD$?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How easy to get a taxi at Port of Muscat to Nizwa?

You could probably arrange for a private driver from a tour company around there.... and they MIGHT accept USD.

However, the cheapest way (imo) would be to take a taxi to Burj Al Sahwa Roundabout and then hop in one of the Nizwa-bound [shared] taxis from there. If I'm not mistaken, that ride to Nizwa should only be 2-3 OMR per person. The ride from the port to the roundabout shouldn't be more than 6-8 OMR (tourist prices), so you're looking at a maximum of 20 OMR for that trip. I have no idea what a private car would cost.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How easy to get a taxi at Port of Muscat to Nizwa?

Also, a few kilometers from the port, the taxi can stop at "Lulu Hypermarket Darsait". That is a small mall with a hyper market and a few shops including a currency exchange shop where you can exchange your USD to omani riyal. This will make your life, and that of the driver much easier. Always deal with local currency.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How easy to get a taxi at Port of Muscat to Nizwa?

You just read my mind. I was wondering where I was going to change money.

Hereford
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How easy to get a taxi at Port of Muscat to Nizwa?

I am arriving via cruise ship in March and having lived and worked in Muscat I would recommend hiring a car for the period of time that you are there. If you are going as far as Nizwa I would suggest also a trip to Jabrin Fort (just further along the road.). There is much to see around Muscat itself and this is where a hire car will not only save you money but will be so much more enjoyable.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How easy to get a taxi at Port of Muscat to Nizwa?

Great. So there will be taxis at the port. And they don't mind being gone for the whole day. The ship excursion is for the whole day. So I'm worried about time.

I believe it's 2 hours each way. Then about 1 hour at Nizwa and Jabrin.

We'd also like to look into the Bustan Palace and then drive by Muscat to take pictures of the Palace and the other highlights. Will we be able to do all this?

Thank you all!

6. Re: How easy to get a taxi at Port of Muscat to Nizwa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2013, 10:32