We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping & photography opportunities

Which Muscat hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping & photography opportunities

I will be visiting a friend in Muscat soon & as she will be at work during the week I will need to be self-sufficient during the day.

Any ideas for photography & shopping accessible to a woman alone in Muscat gratefully received.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping & photography opportunities

Oman is woman friendly :) you should not have issues going around.

will you be driving and do you have access to a car?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping & photography opportunities

The Muttrah souq, the nearby fish market, and the corniche that runs along the coast there are prime shopping and photography places. As a lone female I can echo that what Tariq says is true. Omanis are a very friendly and gracious people and you will not have any issues other than the occasional question that to us seems nosy but is just friendly curiosity.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping & photography opportunities

What type of photography are you interested in?

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping & photography opportunities

I probably won't drive there, but get taxis or buses

Am looking at spending a weekend in the desert to visit probably the Nizwa area.

I do mostly slightly abstract photography - quirky cityscapes, architecture, seascapes, markets etc all appeal. I guess street portraiture wouldn't go down too well without asking permission first?

Thanks for the advice so far, any more ideas relished!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping & photography opportunities

Nizwa is a great place for photography. Try to be there for the Friday goat market.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping & photography opportunities

I spent a couple of weekends sitting at the entrance of Souq Muttrah with my camera on my lap, snapping away. Not very easy with a bulky dSLR, but I got some great people shots.

If you go in to a market and want to take pictures of people, definitely ask for permission first. I would say the vast majority will approve, especially if you are a woman.

Old Nizwa is a great place to take pictures. Mud brick houses, old doors, date farms, etc. I fully support that suggestion.

Some great coastal landscape pictures on the road down toward Oman Dive Center, I absolutely love the mountains in Oman.

JP
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping & photography opportunities

Hi :)

In taking photos, please be careful not to take local womens photo(s) without getting their permission. (If you go to interior or some conservative region, even some men don't like to be taken.)

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
110 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping & photography opportunities

The Big Bus Tour in Muscat has just started... might be a good option for getting around and seeing some of the sights without having to worry about taxis.

Make sure you manage to capture the desert sunrise and sunset... that is something truley beautiful over the sand dunes...

9. Re: Shopping & photography opportunities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2013, 06:16