We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chedi, Al Bustan or Grand Hyatt - proximity to the port

Which Muscat hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Chedi, Al Bustan or Grand Hyatt - proximity to the port

I'll be calling at Muscat in March on a cruise and I'm looking for a really nice restaurant for lunch. Was considering these 3 hotels but the maps on their websites don't show their proximity to the port. I'm happy to grab a taxi but don't want a really long journey to get there.

Also of these 3 hotels which has the most interesting sights nearby?

Thanks

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chedi, Al Bustan or Grand Hyatt - proximity to the port

Depending on the day of the week, you should also consider the traffic. What day of the week will you be arriving to Muscat?

In general, out of the three choices, I would go with Al Bustan. It has a nice setting, and the ride by Taxi will take you through the Mattrah Souq, Old Kalbooh, Muscat Palace, Sidab town, and then to AlBustan. This is actually one of my favourite routes when I am in that part of town, nice scenic drive. You may also consider Shangri-La which is 10-15 Km further down from AlBustan with virtually no traffic between the two. You can lounge on the beach after lunch as the weather is usually pleasant in March.

You should ask the Taxi driver to stop near the Palace for a photo shoot. There is another nice spot after the junction from AlBustan towards ShangriLa. The road goes through a small tunnel under the main road and then climbs up the mountain. There is a small parking area on your left at the top of the first rising which can give you a nice photo op of AlBustan and the surrounding area. I used to stop there every now and then for a smoke, back in the days when I smoked. The view is nice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chedi, Al Bustan or Grand Hyatt - proximity to the port

I completely agree with the above post, the Al Bustan or the Shangri La are very easy to get to, and a good taxi driver (available at the port entrance) will show you the palace on the way, and can drop you at the souk on the way back (10 minute walk back to the ship). A cheaper option is the 'Oman Dive Centre' which has a great beach with a bar on it, and a reasonable restaurant to eat in. It's located adjacent to the Shangri La. Many of the cruise lines (Costa in particular) operates excursions to this beach.

Traffic is generally very easy between the Port and Al Bustan/Shangri La and vice versa, going the other direction towards the Chedi can be heavy going at times but would give you the opportunity to visit the Grand Mosque en-route unless your arriving on a Friday.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chedi, Al Bustan or Grand Hyatt - proximity to the port

Thanks very much to both of you. that is very helpful. I'll be there on a Sunday. Ship docks at 8.30 although I'll probably not get off until 9.30 and I want to be back onboard by 5.00pm.

I'll be own my own (unless I meet passengers onboard that I want to spend the day with). Is it ok for a female to wander in the souk on her own? I'll cover up and dress appropriately but will the locals find this strange and cause me to get a lot of unwanted attention?

Thanks

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chedi, Al Bustan or Grand Hyatt - proximity to the port

Thanks very much to both of you. that is very helpful. I'll be there on a Sunday. Ship docks at 8.30 although I'll probably not get off until 9.30 and I want to be back onboard by 5.00pm.

I'll be own my own (unless I meet passengers onboard that I want to spend the day with). Is it ok for a female to wander in the souk on her own? I'll cover up and dress appropriately but will the locals find this strange and cause me to get a lot of unwanted attention?

Final question, I was thinking of th Al Khiran Terrace in the Al Bustan rather than the Beach Pavilion. Would that be a good choice, especially as I'd like a nice view?

Thanks

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chedi, Al Bustan or Grand Hyatt - proximity to the port

Personally I like the beach pavilion... but both have great food.... al khiran looks over the pool towards the beach and the beach pavilion...While the beach pavilion is directly on the beach, against the mountains...

The Sidab Ladies sewing group is just past the palace... is the taxi drivers knows of it, you might find it interesting to stop in (mornings only). Its a community project developing business for the ladies... they make all sorts of products using Omani materials and designs ... perfect for gifts or keepsakes.

have fun and enjoy

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chedi, Al Bustan or Grand Hyatt - proximity to the port

Thanks, I'll look in to that sewing group, it sounds fascinating and unique

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chedi, Al Bustan or Grand Hyatt - proximity to the port

Both should have similar views, and both would be fine. The edge will be for Shangri-La.

Woman walking alone in the souq and anywhere else in Oman is fine. Our ladies (wives, sisters, mothers ..etc) do it all the time. Worst thing is that you may attract some stares if you are not dressed appropriately. Long pants and a shirt or t-shirt will be fine. You do not need to cover your hair.

If you leave the ship at 9:30, you should be able to reach AlBustan or Shangri-La within an hour. Plan for another hour or a little more for the way back.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chedi, Al Bustan or Grand Hyatt - proximity to the port

Thanks for your help.

9. Re: Chedi, Al Bustan or Grand Hyatt - proximity to the port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 05:18