We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to restaurants by taxi from The Chedi

France
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Going to restaurants by taxi from The Chedi

Hello,

My husband and I will be staying at the Chedi hotel for 4 nights in mid-May. As the restaurants there are somewhat expensive, we're interested in eating outside the hotel on a few nights. We do not plan on renting a car.

From some of the other posts on this forum, I gather that taxis are meterless, so the fare has to be negotiated in advance, and depending on where you go, they might not be easy to get.

We're interested in trying local cuisine, seafood or at least ME/Turkish. Not interested in European or American food. No alcohol is not a problem as we're not big drinkers.

Can someone please recommend a restaurant that serves the kind of food we'd want, plus is in an area where we wouldn't have a problem finding a taxi to take us back to the Chedi? Also, what should we expect to pay as taxi fare?

Finally, what time do most people in Oman eat dinner?

Thank you!

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to restaurants by taxi from The Chedi

Dinner is usually anytime between 7 pm and 10 pm. Many restaurants will extend the time to 12.

I suggest that you take a taxi to a restaurant and get his mobile number to call him for the trip back. This was you will not get stuck after dinner with no car, and will probably get a better deal going to the restaurant and back.

If you want something with a local flavor, I suggest Kargeen in Madinat Qaboos, which is 15 minutes or so from your hotel. Kargeen is a coffee shop / restaurant, so you can spend the evening there people watching, watching some TV, and enjoying some drinks, or even a smoke.

Turkish house in Khuwair will also be good and will be within the same distance from your hotel. this is a restaurant.

Tarboosh restaurant in Ghubrah is around 1 KM from your hotel or a little more, you can walk to the restaurant if you have the energy, or get a taxi for the short drive. They have the best Falafil in town in my opinion. This is a restaurant.

If you want to see the locals hanging out, then you can also go to AlFeeshawi coffeshop in AlKhuwair. This is opposite Radisson blu hotel Muscat. That is a small area of a bunch of lebanese and egyptian restaurants/coffee shops. You can have dinner in the Automatic restaurant or the other new restaurant on top of the Automatic, both are lebanese. After dinner you can sit in Alfeeshawi coffeeshop or any of the other coffeeshops and watch the world go by. Alfeeshawi serves excellent Karakdaih, an egyptian drink made from Hibiscus flowers and sweetened (it has too much sugar, you can get it with less sugar). I usually drink it cold, but you can get it both cold and hot.

I hope this helps.

do let us know if you need more information.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to restaurants by taxi from The Chedi

By the way, Muscat has some excellent Indian restaurants. If you want to splurge on Indian food, do not miss Mumtaz Mahal. Good food, wonderful view, nice atmosphere, but pricey.

France
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to restaurants by taxi from The Chedi

Thank you!

How much should we expect to pay for the taxi? What would be a fair price to these areas and back?

France
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to restaurants by taxi from The Chedi

Also, how willing would the restaurants be to call the taxi for us? If not very, what are our options? Are pay phones widely available? Is it possible to buy a pay as you go SIM card when we arrive to use during the week?

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to restaurants by taxi from The Chedi

Public phones are not popular and many of them has been removed. I do not think that you will see many public phones around, of the top of my head I cannot remember seeing one recently. I am also not sure how easy it is for tourists to obtain temp mobile cards, I hope someone else chimes in.

People here are friendly. Restaurant would be willing to call the taxi for you, local calls are cheap and all restaurants have land lines. I do not think that it would be a problem for the restaurant, one of the waiters, or one of the customers to call the taxi for you. If I am at a restaurant and someone needs me to call a taxi for him, I would not hesitate to do so, I imagine most of the people you will come across will be the same.

With regards to approximate costs of Taxi, as a local, I would expect to pay a couple of rials for each way, and that will be when I am being ripped off by the Taxi driver. As a tourist, you will be paying a "tourist tax" of approximately 200-300% :), I will expect that you should expect to pay 6 riyals plus for a round trip since the hotel is not very far from any of the restaurants I mentioned. Again, to be honest, I am just guessing the prices.

London, United...
Level Contributor
768 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to restaurants by taxi from The Chedi

Stand on the beach looking at the sea. Turn left, walk along the beach, climb over the breakwater, walk 100m to local restaurant. Great view of the sea, cheap food, no need for taxi.

7. Re: Going to restaurants by taxi from The Chedi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 05:17