We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do restaurants cook gluten free food

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
144 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Do restaurants cook gluten free food

I forgot to add in my last question about awareness of food alllergies in restaurants. I suffer from Celiac Disease which is an intolerance against gluten. So no food with wheat for me. In Dubai they seem to understand the issues by being more informative about the contents of the food. I was wondering if the same applies to Muscat. I have read there are a number of Indian eateries which are usually okay , chinese and italian are dangerous for me . Sea food and steak house fine. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do restaurants cook gluten free food

I think people generally understand if someone has an allergy to certain foods. But there are certainly plenty of Indian & Pakistani restaurants and cafes, plus lots of Lebanese restaurants - which if you've been in Dubai you probably know the kinds of food you'll find on the menu - plus there are tons of fish and grilled meat type of places. You should be ok. If you're in more expensive restaurants/hotel restaurants you can probably ask them to cook you something special if you have concerns about what's on the menu.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 21:35
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do restaurants cook gluten free food

I am gluten free as well, but not because of Celiac. In Oman I tend to forget about it though.

You can certainly manage, but it is going to take some work. I would suggest having a very clear list of what you CANNOT eat (translated if possible). Obviously at the more Western restaurants they will be able to tell you the ingredients of the dishes. Outside of Muscat (or in the smaller places), not so much. It will be up to you to convey what you can't eat, and figuring out an alternative. As GertrudeBell mentioned, you probably already have a good idea of how to get by if you have been in Dubai.

One thing that you need to think about in advance is how much you can compromise. If you are open to eating gluten if necessary, convey that. Any uncertainty will just confuse a waiter/waitress and they will assume you aren't serious. If you tell them you can't even be near it, they will get the picture.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,954 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do restaurants cook gluten free food

There is always a section in the breakfast/dinner buffet at International hotels marked "gluten free"

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
144 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do restaurants cook gluten free food

Hi

Many thanks for that , from the feedback (pardon the pun) I am getting there seems to be a good selection and an understanding of GF foods which is encouraging now that I have a better understanding of this problem

Drew Mutter.

5. Re: Do restaurants cook gluten free food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 02:35
6. Re: Do restaurants cook gluten free food

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 02:35
7. Re: Do restaurants cook gluten free food

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:22