We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is oman too hot in mid May?

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is oman too hot in mid May?

Hi there,

I was wondering whether someone could give me some advice.

I would like to travel to Oman in mid May but I am worried that it might be too hot. I will be travelling with an 8 month ban, and obviously I will be keeping her out of the sun, but if anyone could tell me whether May is boiling, that would greatluy help.

I do like hot weather, but not so hot that you can't do anything so to speak!!

Also, any help on what hotel to go for would be greatly appreciated - I have always wanted to go to The Chedi but someone suggested that the Shangri La might be better for babies?

I really do appreciate your help in advance on this matter

Thanks

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
144 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is oman too hot in mid May?

Hi there

I am keeping an eye on your question as my wife and I are travelling there for 5 days in late may.On checking the weather app on my phone, I see the average temperature this week ( mid april) is 41 deg, wow. Like you we love the heat but we will be taking things very carefully .

Drew Mutter

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,339 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is oman too hot in mid May?

Steer away from The Chedi - it is for poseurs not babies.

Shangri La would be perfect-Al Waha is the family hotel.

It does start to hot up in May with the humidity rising but nothing like as bad as June/July. We were out their in late April one year with a 6 month grand daughter and she was fine.

Averages for Muscat in May are here

www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3…

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is oman too hot in mid May?

Hi there ,,,

The weather started to change few days back. It's getting hotter and hotter but as SilverSwimmer said; "nothing like as bad as June/July". In May, like the past years the tempreture normally will be in 40's. About the hotel, Shangri-La is a very nice hotel but it's quite far away from any resturants, coffee shops, malls, etc. So if you care about the location more, than i would recommed you Intercon Muscat in Shati Al Qurum area.

Have a good holiday in Oman.

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is oman too hot in mid May?

Is the time you are able to travel to Oman fixed? If you have any possibility to travel there later in the year, personally I would recommend October/November time especially with a baby, I appreciate others may not share this view. It also depends a bit on where you are coming from and how used to the heat you and your baby are.

It will be getting hot by mid-May, as BuRaiR says it will be in the 40s. Muscat always seem to either be, or feel, much hotter than elsewhere in Oman. Out towards Sur and Ras Al Jinz it can be much cooler as these places are on the headland that gets cooling breezes.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is oman too hot in mid May?

May will definitely be starting to get hot and humid. It really is relative though. I visited Muscat from Salalah in May and remember reveling in how pleasant it felt. Have you visited any other hot climates like Oman? It will be approaching (and probably entering) the low 40's. Tourism in this heat requires a lot of planning ahead. You need to be sure that you have a way to get out of the heat every couple of hours (be it a nice restaurant, shopping mall, stop back at the hotel, etc. An air conditioned car won't completely do it. You should also plan on bringing light, breathing fabrics that cover as much of your skin as possible. That said, May is far from the worst time to visit Oman.

Where you might want to stay depends on your goals. Staying at Shangri La will be the best choice if you want to do an excursion here or there, but otherwise just want to enjoy a relaxing/luxurious vacation on the grounds of a beautiful resort. The InterCon would be a more central option if you want to be closer to the modern city, but also want the nice grounds. I would stay away from the Hyatt if you plan to spend a good amount of time at the hotel, as it doesn't have as much space or that feel of respite when you walk through the gates (though otherwise it's a very nice hotel).

The other issue is that, in May, a trip to the interior (Nizwa) would be deathly hot. It wouldn't have the humidity like Muscat, but the dry heat can still get you!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
144 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is oman too hot in mid May?

Hi

Many thanks for that

We have visited Dubai many times over the last seven years but the temp in Muscat is certainly beyond any of the Dubai trips we have been on

I did notice the temp has come down in recent days

Lets hope

Drew

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,339 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is oman too hot in mid May?

Andrew

The heat wave that hit the UAE and Oman last week was unusual.

We have traditionally visited Muscat in April and the average high was 34C,which with a sea breeze and sea temperature at 26C it was fine.

We did a couple of trips over the years to Nizwa at that time and whilst it was less humid it was 42C !!

Inland in high summer it gets very hot and for oil/gas workers they are allowed to stop work at 52C.

The "in" joke is that all company thermometers are set to stop at 51C !!

SS

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
838 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is oman too hot in mid May?

Hi

We have just returned from Muscat and found it HOT!

We came in from Thailand so had acclimatised to the heat from the London climate to some degree but we still found Muscat hot!

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is oman too hot in mid May?

Two years ago we went to Oman from 1 - 11 May. The temperature never dropped below 40 C and was frequently up to 45/48. The main problem was the humiidty which I found draining. When we sat out in the evening (and even then the temperature only drops to about 37/38 C, everything was covered in condensation; the chairs were damp and my glasses case was saturated. It wasn't very pleasant and, having looked forward to dining al fresco, we were forced to seek the aircon and eat indoors. And I definitely wouldn't go with a child in those temperatures and with that humidity. We have just returned from Oman (last week of March, first week of April) and it was far more pleasant. I hope this helps.

muscat
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is oman too hot in mid May?

My advice is that it will be too hot or humid. It will be 45c + degrees or very very humid with a temp of 35c. Not weather for sitting outside! Shangri La, al Waha hotel would be fine for the child.