We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wadi Shab in early October - with kids

Which Muscat hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Wadi Shab in early October - with kids

Hi all,

My family and I will be visiting Muscat and surrounding areas in early October. I am looking at booking a private tour for my family to Wadi Shabi and am concerned about the hike into the Wadi and temperature. Would the weather be too hot that time of year and the hike in and out too much for my 5 year old and 14 year old?

Both kids walked Petra, including the big hike up to the Monastery and were fine however this was in January when the weather was really nice.

Thanks in advance.

Oman
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wadi Shab in early October - with kids

Hi there,

The hiking with kids at the early October is fine. I just advise you to come to the wadi by 02:30pm. First of all, you will be hiking in the shade most of the time. Second, there is a nice breeze at this time while you hike up to the wadi and on the way back. It will be more pleasant for you and kids.

Just take enough water with you and do not forget life jackets for kids. Ask the agency whom you want to book private tour if they can provide life jackets for you.

Cheers,

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wadi Shab in early October - with kids

HI Valentina Z,

Thank you very much for the information it was really helpful. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wadi Shab in early October - with kids

Beside the excellent advise from Valentina, please check the sunset time at the date that you are planning to go. You need good light for the journey back. During October, sunset is around 5:45 pm, light should start fading 15-20 minutes before that. Read up on the place and see how long you would like to spend there to calculate the appropriate time for the return journey.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wadi Shab in early October - with kids

Guess Valentina and Tariq has gave you all the details about Wadi Shab. Just to add other places in your trip to Wadi Shab, You can leave Muscat little bit earlier and ask your private tour to stop you by;

1) Dhiqa Dam

2) Bammah Sink Hole locally known as "Hawyyat Najem".

3) Fins beach

4) Wadi Tiwi.

You can skip number 3 and 4 if you dont have much time, but dont miss 1 and 2 if you can.

Regards,

Germany
Level Contributor
259 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wadi Shab in early October - with kids

We hiked Wadi Shab last October with two kids (12 and 14 yrs.). It was less of a problem for the children than for the adults....

However, I am not sure how a 5 year old will do. The first part of the way is gravel and rather tiresome to walk on. This part will most likely be in bright sunlight. After you have mastered the gravel part, the path becomes rocky, partly with huge boulders to climb over, which might be difficult for a little child, particularly in the heat.

Just make sure that you take enough water and perhaps a little snack. We had 3 liters for 4 people and wished we had taken more.

Oman
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wadi Shab in early October - with kids

Dear fraugast,

You did not have enough water for your hiking. That's for sure. Normally the amount of water per person is about 1,5-3 liters for 3 hours hiking. And it is depend on the temperature of the day.

Wadi Shab hiking is Grade #1 difficulty (light hiking) and requires the following amount of water for 3 hours return trip:

Air temperature 20C - 1,5 liters per person

Air temperature 30C - 2,5 liters per person

Hiking in the afternoon is more easy at Wadi Shab as you have a lot of shade from the cliffs. Morning is more difficult as you hike under direct sun most of the time.

I guess you went hiking yourself and chose the most difficult way. I noticed it watching visitors while hiking there. If you hike with an experience guide, then it is very easy even with a small child.

Cheers,

7. Re: Wadi Shab in early October - with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 11:37
Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wadi Shab in early October - with kids

Bahwan Travels, according to TA rules, you are not allowed to promote for your company here.

9. Re: Wadi Shab in early October - with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 05:15