We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 December 2008, 03:40
Oud-Turnhout...
Level Contributor
121 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

Two years ago, I have eaten wonderful seafood in Half Door

ireland-guide.com/establishment/half_door_th…

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

We were in Dingle April 17 and ate at Out of the Blue. The food is simply outstanding! Nothing but very fresh seafood and amazing presentation. It was one of the food highlights of our trip. Make reservations, as the place is tiny!

California
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

I second the suggestion for Half Door. Maggie at Emlagh Lodge highly recommends this herself. They do a really nice early bird 3-course special (before 7:00 p.m.) for €25. I had a wonderful potato leak soup as a first course, the steak was accompanied by an incredible turnip mash in addition to the potatoes and mixed vegetables, and the desert was a pear/berry crumble with ice cream. I recall they offered a number of different starters, entrees, and desserts to choose from - check the board outside the restaurant as I'm sure it changes daily.

4. Re: Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 December 2008, 03:41
Kinsale, Ireland
Level Contributor
151 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

Do Half door for early bird - its just as good and more reasonable...but certainly head to Out of the Blue. If you feel like travelling, the Old Pier near Ballydavid also do fabulous seafood - and beleive me portions are huge!

England/United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

For anyone looking for cheap seafood (especially those on a budget), Murphey's pub does a lovely, but heavy, seafood chowder. There has to be four or five different types of 'seafood' in it. It comes with soda bread of some sort. Added with a beer, it's a hearty meal.

It also seemed to be the only hot food available in the Dingle area after the pubs close their kitchens at night, so it's good to keep in mind. :)

For nicer fare, I would go with Maggie from the Emlagh Lodge's suggestion. :)

Austin
Level Contributor
904 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

Thanks for ya'll's opinions. What do you think of the Chart House? We sometimes do one splurge meal each vacation and was wondering if the Chart House should be it. Or should we just stick to the early bird at the Half Door (which sounds awfully good)? Also, do we need reservations for the Half Door, even for the early bird? There will be three of us.

Thanks for this question. My hubby and I love seafood. We will be spending four nights in Dingle and look forward to the food!

California
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

Since I travel by myself, I usually partake of the early bird seatings (I hate to take up seating when a restaurant is crowded). I've never had to make reservations for an early bird dinner - I've always been able to walk right in and be seated immediately. I'm more inclined to think that locals eat much later in the evening - so anything after 8:00 might require a reservation (especially on a weekend).

I can't remember if Half Door is open for lunch or not. You could try to stop by sometime during the day (at any restaurant) to see if you can get a reservation if one is needed. Or see if your B&B host could make a reservation for you.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

Murphy's Pub also has Awesome fish and chips...omg. I have been craving it every night since I left!!! Delicious and great atmosphere.

Kinsale, Ireland
Level Contributor
151 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place for Lunch or Dinner - Seafood

Half Door is not open for Lunch and you do need reservations even for the early bird. For me if I was having a splurge it would be a toss up betwen out of the Blue and Half Door or Old Pier. However if you dont want to travel out of Dingle, forget the old pier (but it is situated in a fabulous area overlooking Smerick harbour). it has been a while since I was in the chart House and while many rave about it, I thought it was too much money for what you got - but it could have changed.

I am heading down to Dingle today so I may get a chance to check one of these places out again and advise of any additional feedback.

Also Goat Street Cafe do lovely lunches.