We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To ambitious: Dublin, Kilkenny, Dingle, Dublin

Glendale, California
3 posts
Save Topic
To ambitious: Dublin, Kilkenny, Dingle, Dublin

I'm traveling from California to Ireland. My tentative plan is to arrive in Dublin on the 14th of July at 10:30, stay in Kilkenny on that day and go on to stay in Dingle the 15th and 16th, return to stay in Dublin the 17 and 18th, departing to Switzerland on the 19th.

Is Kilkenny to Dingle too far to travel in one day?

Is Dingle proper just too touristy in July?

How long will it take to get back to Dublin from Dingle?

Is it worth an extra $165 Euro worth to return the care there and fly to Dublin, instead of driving back?

Dublin
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To ambitious: Dublin, Kilkenny, Dingle, Dublin

its seems ambitous to me.

Dublin to Kilkenny is not a bad drive. There is a new Motorway for some of the way which makes the journey a bit easier.

There are two ways to go from Dublin to Kilkenny. One way brings you through Carlow, the other way (which in my opinion is nicer) is to drive through Athy. On both routes, you take the motorway from dublin's M50 ring-road towards Naas/Kildare, after the Naas exit there is a turn off left towards Carlow.....where this motorway ends and becomes a straight road for carlow (which continues to Kilkenny), there is a turn-off towards Athy. This road also brings you straight all the way to kilkenny via Athy. It will take about 2hrs to get from the airport to Kilkenny.

As for Kilkenny to Dingle....whoa! quite a drive if you intend go all the way to Dingle.....I would think it takes five hours, if you stop for a coffee along the way. Its up to you, if you think its worth it then go for it. Dingle has lovely scenery, some nice beaches and is close to the Blasket Islands. However you will only have one proper day there to see these.....its up to you.

A lot of it is weather dependent......if the weather is poor then maybe it is not worth it, if the weather is good then it could be worth it. You could make this decision when you arrive in Ireland.

Why Dingle incidentally? Do you have a particular reason for going all that way? (i.e. it is very nice but there are many other nice places that are easier to get to).

If you just wanted to go to the atlantic coast, it might be easier to go to Galway or Clare for example....

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To ambitious: Dublin, Kilkenny, Dingle, Dublin

Hi there....don't mean to intrude on the conversation but you seem like a great source of info for driving times....

How long would it take me to get from Galway to Kilkenny by bus or train? (I'm not renting a car.) Just curious. And from Kilkenny to Dublin? (That's my itinerary for a 10 night stay in Ireland. Don't want to do too much at once.)

Thank you so much for your help!

Manhattan, NY
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: To ambitious: Dublin, Kilkenny, Dingle, Dublin

At first glance, it seems unneccasarily ambitious. First, are you okay with coming off of a 14 hr flight, navigating the rental car process, and just getting on the road and driving for 2 or 3 hrs to Kilkenny? Have you driven in Ireland before? The map says it's about an 80 mile drive, but bear in mind that you won't be driving at an average speed of 60 mph, you will be driving more slowly.

If it were me, I would go straight to Dublin, and have your first two days, rather than your last 2 days, there. And then get on the road to wherever you choose to go. And if indeed you choose to go to Dingle, have you already booked your flights? If not, perhaps you could fly out of Cork... much closer to Dingle.

Is there a reason you've targeted those three places... Dublin, Kilkenny, Dingle? Very spread out. I haven't been to Kilkenny, but have been to the other two. Dublin is great, and Dingle is beautiful.... but there are other choices which may offer you a similar experience within closer proximity to each other.

The Dublin to County Clare, to Galaway suggestion is an excellent one. You could go to the Burren, start in Dingle, and drive up the coast to Ballyvaughan, short, but beautiful drive - and stunningly beautiful and charming area. In Dingle you can take the ferry out to the Aran Islands, lovely. And if you did this, and haven't booked your flights yet, or can change them, you could fly out of Shannon, very close Clare / Galway.

've done a lot of driving when visiting Ireland. It may not look far when looking at the map, but it's more of a 'meander' than driving in the states. You can't stay on major highways the whole time even if you wanted to.... which you probably would not want to do - lest you miss Ireland ; )

Manhattan, NY
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: To ambitious: Dublin, Kilkenny, Dingle, Dublin

PS ... to be clear, the Burren is in County Clare, just below Galway.... oh, and if interested, Cliffs of Moher are 'right there' too.

south western...
Level Contributor
994 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To ambitious: Dublin, Kilkenny, Dingle, Dublin

We just returned from a similiar trip. We flew into Dublin, rented a car, and drove to Kilkenny. That was fine - BUT, keep in mind that you will be tired and the driving does take time to get used to.

Is Kilkenny to Dingle too far to travel in one day?

That would be a VERY long day of driving. We drove Kilkenny to Kenmare, and that was doable. Next day we drove through Killarney National Park over to Dingle, and that took pretty much the whole day, with lots of time to spend in the park.

Is Dingle proper just too touristy in July?

Dingle town itself had a lot of tourists in it in early July. The other villages did not seem to be very busy, only when a bus group pulled in.

How long will it take to get back to Dublin from Dingle?

This will take you pretty much a full day and you will be tired when you get to Dublin. We broke the drive by staying overnight in County Tipperary. Lots of history there - Cashel, Holycross, Lough Derg etc. We were glad we did it that way. You could consider doing the same and spending just the one night in Dublin.

As the other posters suggested, you might be better to choose some areas of Ireland that are closer to Dublin for this trip.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To ambitious: Dublin, Kilkenny, Dingle, Dublin

i agree with the others...a lot of miles in such a short time....

and your time difference with ireland is 8 hours....that's a lot....i would recommend just staying in dublin the first day too, then go to kilkenny for a day, then back to the hill of tara and newgrange another day, and your last day in dublin.....

or dublin day 1, kilkenny day 2, the wicklows and waterford day 3 and 4, newgrange and tara day day 5 and just leave from tara on departure day as it is only 25 miles.......

don't spend all of your time driving, you will miss so much because of so much windshield time.....

Brentwood...
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To ambitious: Dublin, Kilkenny, Dingle, Dublin

Hi Sunny,

I am from CA(Northern) and returned from ireland in mid June. I agree with most everyone. You think you will rest on the flight etc.... but the drive and time change is hard once you land get luggage and car then start driving....It hits fast with that 8 hr difference......... the sun stays up til 1030-1100 that time of year..I would stay in Dublin first 2 days, this way you can get a small nap in first day (I wouldn't make it more than 2-3 hrs) then you can still visit dublin have dinner, drinks etc

It takes a day or so to adjust to driving, don't get your car until you are leaving Dublin (see other advisors on this, I didn't actually go to Dublin )

Dingle is great, but far. If AA says its 5 hrs , I would add 1-2 hrs to that (for tourist traffic). Most roads are fine but you run into alot of trafic at 35-45 mph (tops). Listen to the local Irish people for advise, their's is best. I know we in CA are used to alot of driving, but in our lots of driving, we missed out on time to spend with the Local Irish people and pubs.

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY RELAX RELAX RELAX

8. Re: To ambitious: Dublin, Kilkenny, Dingle, Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 15:17