We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
706 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay

We have been turned down two different times (Emlough House and the Pax House)as both sites are filled to capacity when we expect to be there. I am looking for a new place to stay while on the Dingle Peninsula. We are back to staying at the Greenmount or the Skallag Dingle something...

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

marla

what a shame your first choices aren't available :-(

Greenmount is on the same road as Pax, but loser to town. From the outside it looks really nice.

I guess it depends on whether you're looking for a hotel or guest house stay? And is there a big difference in cost??

Have you tried this site, which will give you availability for hotels, guest houses and b&bs:

http://www.accommodation.ie/

There's no "mark-up" on cost, and all properties are approved by the tourist board.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

I presume you mean the Skellig hotel? Great location on the edge of the water but I'd prefer b and b myself or sekf catering.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
190 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

I stayed at the Lighthouse B&B in April and thought it was great! Clean, cheery, private, nice owner, great breakfast and views, etc. It's only a couple blocks from the pubs but probably not so close that noise would be an issue.

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
24 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

We're trying the Coastline Guesthouse right on Dingle Bay in June...great reviews, reasonable prices, and the owner seems very hospitable in our e-mails and on the phone. I've also heard First Cottage is a real Irish cottage experience, also right on the bay, but just a few rooms....Good Luck :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
511 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay

Other good B&B's to consider are Heatons and Castlewood House,just on the edge of town as you drive toward Slea Head. You can walk back into the town in 10-15mins.

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
368 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay

I stayed at Greenmount in March 2008, and self-catered in 2009. While Greenmount would not be my first choice (Emlagh Emlagh Lodge) - it was a nice place to stay. Rooms were large, beds were comfortable - and breakfast was good.

It felt a bit more like an Inn than a B&B - it's by far the "largest" B&B I've stayed in while in Ireland.

Once you get outside of easy driving distance to the town center, as some B&Bs might be - you might want to expand your search to places like Ventry.

Fresno, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay

We stayed at Duinin House and it was very nice. It is on Connor Pass road and a little too far to walk to town, but had a very nice room and the hosts were great as was the food! I posted photos on my review if you want to see what it looks like.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay

I just wanted to be in the main part of town so we could walk to town for dinner and after dinner walk home. Any suggestions since Greenmont doesn't sound like you would stay there. I haven't made my mind up yet, but still wish Emlough or the Pax House had an opening. Oh well. What else is real nice and right near to the town of Dingle?

ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay

I stayed in Castlewood House, was our favorite place (out of 6 places) that we chose in Ireland. If you can get reservations, take it. Check the TA reviews-very good.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay

We absolutely loved Cill Bbreac House http://www.cillbhreachouse.com

The address says Milltown, but it's actually a mile out of town on the main road. There's certainly something to be said for being able to walk everywhere, but we wanted the spectacular view and the quiet. Angela is wonderful; the food is wonderful; the view is wonderful.....perfect for us!