We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slea Head Loop Help

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Slea Head Loop Help

I will be heading to Ireland this fall with my husband, mother and mother in law. We are doing a whirlwind trip through Ireland and I am trying to cram as much as possible. Not usually my travel style but trying to make 4 people happy is proving difficult. We will be staying in Dingle and driving the loop. It will be November so low traffic and maybe some rain. How long should I plan for the drive? We will probably stop at the beehive hut. oratory and maybe 1-2 view points. Please not answers telling me "it really needs the whole day" or to truly appreciate it you need at least 3 weeks" or "its amazing, dont rush yourself :) In a perfect work I would have more time but unfortunately that is not the case, this time.

Clifton Park, NY
Level Contributor
67 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slea Head Loop Help

It can take as long as you have time for, but we had an unexpectedly short time and still loved it. Here is what we did.

When we arrived at our B&B in Dingle in June, we were advised that the next day was going to be a day with heavy rain and winds. Our host suggested that since it was only about 3:30 in the afternoon and it would be light until late, that we unpack and then head out on the Slea Head Drive as soon as possible.

We were on the road by 4:00. We stopped at Dromberg Fort, the Beehive Huts, the Ryan's Daughter Ruins, Gallarus Oratory. Kilmalkadar Church and various stops just to admire the view and take pictures. We even were able to drive up to the top of the Conor Pass, admire the view and return to Dingle for dinner. I believe it was about 8:00 or 8:30. We had planned to take the entire next day to fully enjoy the Slea Head Drive, but we are glad we took the quick tour. The next day it was heavy rain. We drove the Slea Head Drive again in order to stop and enjoy our time at the Blasket Island Center, visit the pottery factory and have lunch. We then went into Dingle and walked around in the rain to shop and visit the Dingle Crystal shop.

Bottom line, in my opinion is that the Slea Head Drive is worth it, no matter how much time you have.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slea Head Loop Help

If this is one set date in November be prepared to see very little at all because of the weather, I have been on the drive when you cant even see the Blaskets!! Also not sure what is open in November, so you may be able to easily whizz round in an hour or so.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slea Head Loop Help

The Tour bus takes 4 hours to visit all the key points. Dingle to Dingle round Slea Head can actually be driven in under an Hour.. As said in November it might not be worth it. Personally I don't rate the Dingle peninsular as the best 100 mile drive in Ireland but if the weather is good then Slea Head is worth taking a little time over.

What is the full itinerary?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,222 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slea Head Loop Help

If it is just sightseeing with a couple of stops, you could do it in a couple of hours. But, as suggested, check the weather forecast with your host accommodation when you are checking in. We get some beautiful days in November, but it can be awful too (same could be said for August!!).

November is a time when we often get high seas and the Atlantic rollers crashing ashore is a magnificent sight to behold.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Slea Head Loop Help

Our full Ireland itinerary is

Day 0-Arrive in Dublin sleep in Dublin

Day 1-Dublin

Day 2-8am train to Dingle, sleep in Dingle

Day 3- Dingle/Slea Head then drive to Blarney (just to sleep before catching a flight out to England in the morning)

We plan to arrive in Dingle around 1:45pm, if it is a nice day would it behoove us to try and do the drive in the last three hours of sunlight on the first day? It will be a lot of travel in one day but if the weather can turn on a dime it might be worth it. As for the view, we live in San Diego so seeing the ocean isn't so much a draw as the cliffs and fields so if the water is fogged in it isn't a deal breaker.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slea Head Loop Help

You can't get a train to Dingle. You can get a train to Tralee and then get a bus to Dingle or hire a car.

We go to Kerry for a week at the end of October/start of November each year and the Dingle Peninsula can be spectacular at that time.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Slea Head Loop Help

@Bean A Sorry for the confusion, we are taking the train to Farranfore then renting a car and driving into Dingle.

Port Washington...
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slea Head Loop Help

No problema.

We did a quick Dingle tour on our way from Killarney to Cliffs of Moher area. Stopped at Dunbeg Fort (not very interesting, but some nice views), had a simple lunch at Cafe Dunquin (nice views, and has outdoor seating), and then headed out via Connor's Pass (great views, have someone video as you drive the narrrow cliff hugging road as you descend from the summit), then we took the ferry across Shannon bay.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
755 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slea Head Loop Help

If the weather is good definitely take the drive when you get there if there's time. I'm from SF and have been to Dingle when it's stunning but also when you can't see 5 feet in front of you! Stunning is much better. Then on your way to Blaney the next day you can stop in Killarney for a couple of hours and go to Mucross House etc.

ny
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slea Head Loop Help

We just got back from a 10 day trip to Ireland and N. Ireland. We got sunny weather pretty much the whole time we were there. I would say the Slea head drive was quite easily the most scenic drive in our 10 day trip. It took us about 4 hours.