We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

My Mother has her heart set on enjoying the music of Dingle. We will be splitting our week between a house in the Ennis area and a house in Killarney. On Sat 4/20 we will be leaving our house in Killarney and spending the day touring the Dingle Peninsula. Our flight home to the USA is at 12:40 on Sunday. At what time on a Sat night would the music/fun in Dingle begin? Would we be able to enjoy the "scene" on Saturday and still hope to make a flight on Sunday? If yes, where would you suggest we spend Saturday night? There are 13 of us in our group. Also will my sons, ages 8 and 10 be allowed in the bars to enjoy the music? Thank you for your advice.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

You have a bit of a problem, music on a Saturday does not get going until 9.30pm or later and finishes around 1am, children are supposed to be out by 9pm. If you have eaten in the pub you would probably be allowed to keep your table but it depends on the landlord whether children are allowed to stay, I have seen them in Murphy's quite late so long as they are quiet.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
858 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

I'm no music expert, but I don't think that Dingle is particularly renowned for music. I would hazard that you'll get as good a session in Killarney. Sessions tend not to start until 9pm or so and a pub at this time is no place for kids of 8 & 11, not lecturing, just my opinion. You could also be asked to remove kids this young from pubs at that time, try to combine the session with a family meal.

Given your flight time I wouldn't stay the night in Dingle. Dingle to Shannon is about 4 hours drive. This would mean leaving at approx 6am to allow you to book in on time for a US flight. I would stay closer to Shannon on the Saturday night. Dolans Pub in Limerick do meals and nightly Irish music http://dolans.ie/ There is also a Jurys Inn nearby for a cheap overnighter limerickhotels.jurysinns.com/…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

Anywhere Limerick to Ennis would make a lot more sense than Dingle when you need to be at Shannon Airport before 10am.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

Thank you all. I'll let Mom know that the music doesn't start until 9:30ish. I'm also thinking that my Dad at 70 doesn't want the be out that late. So if we are leaving Killarney about 9 or 10 on Sat morning. What highlights would you recommend for a day exploring dingle. Emphasis on culture, scenery, History. With the thought of heading North for 3 hours at the end of the day. We will have toured Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Ring of Kerry, Killarney, a Hawk Walk, Blarney Castle, & Cork earlier in the week. My Dad has physical limitations. Thanks again. Your speedy responses are wonderful.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
858 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

Rather that spend a full day in Dingle may I suggest that you do a loop from Killarney to Dingle, Castlegregory, Tralee, Adare, Limerick/Shannon

From Killarney head for Annascaul. The birth place of Antartic Explorer Tom Crean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Crean_(explorer), visit his pub the South Pole Inn. I'd also suggest a stop at Inch Beach. From here head to Dingle, there's an aquarium that the kids might enjoy http://www.dingle-oceanworld.ie/ When leaving Dingle take the Connor Pass to Castlegregory and the lovely beaches at Maharees dingle-peninsula.ie/castlegregory/index.html

From here you can go to Blennerville and Tralee and on to Limerick/Shannon. A long day but not rushing, and not waiting for a 9pm session.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 18:07
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

Apart from the above I would suggest Listowel rather than Adare. Listowel being one of the best heritage towns.

http://www.listowel365.com/

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

Thank you both, I'll check out the details. I appreciate the suggestions.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,230 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

Dingle is renowned for its music, but I don't it is a practical fit for your itinerary if you have a flight from Shannon on a Sunday.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,438 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

you can easily take a day and go over to dingle from killarney and then i would suggest you just head to shannon on saturday and stay at the oakwood arms hotel....they have elevators (lifts) that would make it easy on dad....you would be close to bunratty village, 10 minutes away, and that is a place enjoyed by kids of all ages...

as you would be there on saturday night, they have a session which is very enjoyable and those who want to hear it can do so and those that want to find their bed would be able to do so....they also have good pub grub....

great staff, nice accommodation and only a few minutes to the airport....with 13 people you should allow three hours to turn in car and get so many checked it.....

if interested their website it www.oakwoodarms.com

Edited: 18 February 2013, 20:59
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Music in the evening...and flying out of Shannon

I am just wondering what are your plans for the Ennis leg of your trip.

If you are in the area on the Sunday, there is a always a good afternoon session in Moroney's.

www.moroneysbar.com