We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

Elmira, New York
7 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

fly into dublin saturday morning and want to drive to dingle peninsula and stay over night and drive it the next morning to cliffs of mohr and ultimately galway. where to stop on the way to dingle peninsula for lunch and where to stay to make the most of our time on dingle peninsula?

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

Saturday:

Arrive Dublin airport, collect rental car and drive across to Galway (approx. 2.5hr drive).

Explore Galway city for rest of the day.

Sunday/Monday

As recommended above:

1 day to explore Connemara region, which lies north(ish) from Galway city. Drive out to the National Park, maybe take a short hike/walk or go horse-riding; visit Kylemore Abbey, or take a cruise with Corrib Cruises.

1 day for visit to 1 of the Aran Islands:

http://www.visitaranislands.ie/

http://www.inisoirr-island.com/

http://www.aranislandsferries.com/

Or, head south from Galway to the Burren and Cliffs of Moher region:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren…

flickr.com/photos/…

You could take this route through the Burren, ending up at the Cliffs of Moher late afternoon, then head back to Galway. The drive back from the Cliffs should take around 1.5-2hrs:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19662-Galway…

Depending on the time of your flight to Munich, you might have 3 full days (Sun-Tues) free for the west coast.

Remember you need to factor 2.5hrs for the drive back from Galway to Dublin, assuming that's where you'll be leaving from. Add 30 minutes to drop off the car, get shuttle back to the airport, and 2hrs for check-in.

Elmira, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

Thanks so much for all of your advice!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
78 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

If you really want to do it...then do it. You have motorway from Dublin nearly all the way beyond Limerick. Go to Dingle via Tralee. On your return journey...back into Tralee...on to Tarbert and take the Killimer car ferry and travel to Galway via Co Clare. It is a long trip but a beautiful one

Elmira, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

I was set on everyone elses advice buyt notre you have given me hope we can do it....I've just heard that dingle peninsula is so beautiful...thinking we could do cliffs on sunday..will post after I'm back to let everyone know if we were successful or sorry! Thanks again everyone!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

I think it's irresponsible to suggest that someone get off an overnight transatlantic flight, and hop in a car for a 5-hr drive on unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar car, even more so if they're not used to driving on the "other" side of the road.

And to drive all the way to Dingle, only to leave the following day for a further 3.5hr drive to the Cliffs, then 1.5hrs onwards to Galway?? No time at all to see the beautiful places you've heard so much about!

@ Debra P : whatever you decide, I hope you have a good time. Look forward to reading all about your travels when you return. Safe journey!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

Lunch in (Google it) Gus O' Connor's in Doolin Co, Clare

take SHANNONFERRIES.COM / to Co, Kerry

follow signs for N69 Tralee and then Dingle.

enjoy your trip.

Elmira, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

Can't wait to meet all of you firey irish men and women!!! :)

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
86 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

We drove from Dublin to Dingle recently and could've done it in 4 hours but stopped 3-4 times for sight seeing, lunch or just plain dillie dallying. It took 6-7 hours. Dingle and it's hikes were worth the drive.

Elmira, New York...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

I am eternally grateful for starflower1 and rickw's advice...I can't imagine having missed slea's head...it was one of the most awesome sights ever...and my daughter loves the woolie jumpers!! we ended up driving to dingle from dublin....stopping for pictures along the way and staying in dingle...going out that night to murphy's and the courthouse....it was fungie's birthday and dingle was alive!! the next day was exhausting as we drove dingle peninsula, stopped at the Cliffs of Moher and then drove to salthill...all very worth it though! today we went to the aran islands which were equally as spectacular! thanks again for all of the great advice!! :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
78 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Driving from Dublin to Dingle Peninsula

Debra, you have made my day. I was thinking of you. Thank you for letting us know how you got on. I am so happy it all worked out for you. Enjoy the rest of your stay and I am glad that you take home great memories of your trip to Ireland