We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish whiskey question

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
123 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Irish whiskey question

Straight to the point: which pubs in Dingle (or surrounding areas) would have the best selection of Irish whiskey? What varieties would you recommend that might not be so widely available in the states? A bartender friend of mine said that the Holy Grail of Irish Whiskey is Knappogue Castle 1951, there's apparently a bar in NYC that sells it by the glass (for somewhere around $200), would there be any bars in Dingle (or possibly Dublin where we'll be spending the first and last nights of our trip) that would offer this as well?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,391 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish whiskey question

This might be of assistance http://www.irelandwhiskeytrail.com/home.php Includes a piece on Dick Macks's in Dingle and a few Dublin Bars. Freeneys on High St in Galway would be my recommendation and Lowrys in Clifden.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,957 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish whiskey question

You can buy your own bottle (for almost the price of a transatlantic flight!!)

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2878.aspx

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
123 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish whiskey question

Thank you for that link, Tony! Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! And Bean, that bottle costs almost twice what I paid for my transatlantic flight ($580 US). A whole bottle is a bit too rich for my blood but on my first ever trip to Ireland, i might have considered splashing out on a glass of what I'm told would be the best whiskey I'll ever taste. What is likely to be the best whiskey that will be widely available by the glass in the pubs, would you say?

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish whiskey question

Most pubs here sell the ordinary blended Irish whiskey's like Jameson, Powers, Paddy & Bushmills. However if you do find somewhere that sells Tullamore Dew then my guess is that this will probably be the nearest stable mate to the Knnappogue Castle brand. Both are products from the Cooley distillery since the Tullamore distillery closed down some years ago. If you happen to be passing through Killbeggan then do drop into the distillery museum.

Dingle, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish whiskey question

10 years ago you could get 'expensive' whiskey in Dingle pubs...

Hmm not anymore the demand is not there...

6. Re: Irish whiskey question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 05:16