We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dingle in early May

Burbank, California
4 posts
Save Topic
Dingle in early May

Traveling to Dingle in early May for my daughter's wedding. None of us have ever been and I was wondering if I would need a heavy rain type coat at that time of the year?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,307 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dingle in early May

Weather is unpredictable at any time but May is usually mild. A shower proof jacket and layers should suffice

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dingle in early May

How lovely. No matter what part of Ireland you will visit, we cannot predict the weather day to day more exactly than "should be - tomorrow." I have been on a beach getting sunburnt in May in Dingle, equally it was wet for an entire weekend another time. Get the locals to put out a "Child of Prague" statue the night before the wedding, the superstition/ religious custom (??) is that it will mean a fine day the following day. ;)

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,305 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dingle in early May

I'm wondering that too ;-)

Having once walked across Cloghane beach in blazing sunshine, getting rained on and sandblasted at the same time, I have no idea.

The sandblasting is good for the skin, cheaper than exfoliating.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dingle in early May

Clogher beach is usually good for sand blasting! Katevaca , I presume you have sorted accommodation etc?

Burbank, California
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dingle in early May

Yes! Staying at Ballintaggart House where the reception is being held

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,307 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dingle in early May

Bono was at a wedding there last week. It is a very nice spot

Burbank, California
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dingle in early May

How exciting!! And so great to hear it is a nice place We are renting sight unseen

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,305 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dingle in early May

Going back to your original question, I havent worn my heavy outer coat this winter at all, it has been very mild, but rather windy!! Outer layer should be waterproof but not heavy.

Burbank, California
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dingle in early May

Oh that is so wonderful to hear! When my daughter chose Ireland for her wedding I was over the moon as my roots started there. But everyone told us the weather there would be horrid Thanks so for the bright news! We can't wait to see this beautiful country and especially Dingle!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
89 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dingle in early May

Been to Dingle in July and it was raining and cold like it was November! As others said weather here unpredictable. However, in May generally our weather is actually good in Ireland the last few years and better than "summer" so hopefully you will get some sun. It should not be cold enought for heavy winter coat. Just something water proof and medium warmth under it.