We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to use 2 full days in Killarney wisely?

Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How to use 2 full days in Killarney wisely?

Our family of 6 (mom, dad, 3 daughters in their 20's and 15 year old son) will be visiting Ireland for the first time in a few short days. We plan to spend our first night near Glenadough, the next 2 nights in Kinsale, and then 3 nights in Killarney in hopes of exploring the beautiful peninsulas of County Kerry. I am so excited about this dream trip come true, but at the same time, I am so sad about all we will miss seeing due to lack of time.

After Killarney, we will have 1 night to spend in the Galway area before kicking and clawing our way back to Dublin to spend our last night.

Can anyone make a recommendation about what NOT to try to see as we venture into, out of, and all around County Kerry?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How to use 2 full days in Killarney wisely?

Allie Cat,

This is a link to a trip to the Burren we took on Easter Sunday. tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186595-i1766-k7393… It may give you some ideas of what to do and time spans.

With reference to your question <<Would it be unthinkable to tie in a visit to Glenstal with our visit to the Burren?>>

The answer is that it depends on where you start out from and where you are going to, but with planning and an early rise, I think it is feasible. If you are coming from Dingle, I would suggest you get up early, drive to Limerick and visit Glental first. As you are probably very much aware it is a beautiful spot, very spiritual, very serene. BUT it is a school as well. And there are state examinations on from the 4th June until near the end of June, so if you are visiting that time please be aware that the silence signs may be for the boys rather than the monks :o) (And geology is not a subject in the state exams so you can't shout out cogs lol!!)

ooops - an edit. You are in Killarney not Dingle. Thats a LOT Easier!! Only 90 minutes or so to the Limerick outskirts. Please use www.googlemaps.com for better directions than I can give you!!

Edited: 20 May 2014, 08:51
Bluff Dale, Texas
Level Contributor
167 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How to use 2 full days in Killarney wisely?

I like your sense of humor AllieCat, me and my husband are going to Ireland in September. I hope you have a wonderful time.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How to use 2 full days in Killarney wisely?

Some background on MY perspective: I am active on a number of Ireland-Centric Travel Boards -- Usually under the Screen Name of 'Italian Chauffeur' (and various MISSPELLINGS there of!).

In Oct of '98, my wife gave me an ultimatum/ deadline -- we had to go to Ireland before her next birthday (the FOLLOWING OCT.

Both of her father's parents had been born and raised in Ireland, yet no one in her family (including her father)had ever been.

So, in April of 99, my wife, her brother, her sister (and her partner)and my father-in-law (aged 81) and I took off for an 8 day trip. All the planning, all the driving, route planning and accommodation selection was done by me -- in the days of 'Dial Up' modems. I had been so anal about the research that I printed out maps of, and to/from the airports, lists and locations of attractions, historical data, etc. etc. My 'guidebook' ran about 100 pages and whenever one of the group would ask about ANYTHING, I would tell them "It's in the book", and then quote the pertinent information.

They started kidding me about being the 'Irish Tour Guide' and I would say, "No, I'm the Italian (which I am) Chauffeur!" The name didn't really stick until our last day in Ireland. We were checking into a B&B in Bunnratty and the owner asked me which room would be for which person (Like most men, I'm not allowed to make that call, it's ALWAYS up to my wife). Feeling a little silly, I replied, "You'll have to ask them, I'M JUST THE CHAUFFEUR".

Nonplussed, the owner nodded and replied, "So you will be back in the morning to pick them up?"

"No," was my reply. Then I pointed to my wife (then of 28 years) and said, "I'm sleeping with her."

Ever since, I've been the Italian Chauffeur.

We've returned, every year since (and sometimes, twice a year). My father-in-law had FIVE living First Cousins that still resided in Ireland and we re-established a link. Sadly, now, THAT generation has nearly all passed -- but their children (our generation) have grown very close. About half of our visits each year are dedicated to family time -- and the rest is given over to 'Touring'.

Even with that -- We STILL have NOT seen ALL of what Ireland has to offer. The land area, though small, is richly and densely PACKED with scenic wonders, ancient relics and historic features.

Everyone typically HAS to experience a first, 'Green Blur' Trip -- In order to appreciate just how delightful Ireland really IS. I hope you have a WONDERFUL trip -- and I hope that Ireland 'Hooks' you, as it has done to SO many -- Myself, included!

14. Re: How to use 2 full days in Killarney wisely?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Dingle Peninsula