We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agrigento ruins at night

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Agrigento ruins at night

My family will be touring in Sicily this September. I planned to spend two nights in/near Agrigento to see the ruins during the day, and then at night. We would be there September 21-23. It seems from reading other posts on this topic that you can no longer see the ruins lit up at night (after September 13th) unless you spend a lot of money for a private excursion (~ 900 Euros). Is this true? If it is, I'll probably take the second night and move it somewhere else in our trip. Thanks for your advice.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Agrigento ruins at night

Ciao vapaula,

You would be able to visit the illuminated Valley of the Temples until the 4th of September.

After September 4th, the Valley of the Temples will be open from 8.30-19.00, so although you will be able to view the temples in the valley, the temples won’t be illuminated until dark around 20.00.

Vagabonda

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Agrigento ruins at night

Vagabonda,

Thank you. Do you think that it is worth seeing the temples lit up at night from a distance? How close could we drive to the temples in our car?

Also, can you drive from Piazza Armerina to Agrigento in the morning, spend 3-4 hours or so at the temples, have lunch somewhere then drive to Trapani (our base) without feeling too rushed?

Vapaula

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,928 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Agrigento ruins at night

Ciao vapaula,

The temples are quite impressive when lighted at night and can be seen throughout the valley. They are quite spectacular perched on the hill, and you can easily see them from the road at the base, but only you can decide if it would be worth spending an extra night in Agrigento.

I can only speak from my personal experiences – I have visited the temples many times at all hours of the day, during all season, under scaffolding, after restorations, and the temples have always been brilliant, and I have always felt privileged to visit.

Many consider the Valley of the Temples touristy. Some visit the temples for a few hours and feel satisfied that they have "seen" the Valley of the Temples.

To fully appreciate this phenomenal site, it takes time - Enter Concordia, enjoy Il Giardino della Kolymbetra, spend time at the excellent archaeological museum…..

Agrigento's Valley of the Temples:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3524…

Before attempting a visit to Piazza Armerina’s Villa Romana del Casale, check the schedule and opening times for September. With the ongoing restorations, schedules frequently change.

Updates are posted here….

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2170…

http://www.villaromanadelcasale.it/

It would take almost 2 hours to drive from Piazza Armerina to Agrigento and another 2,5 hours to drive from Agrigento to Trapani – Take the autostrada when possible.

Check driving routes and ‘estimated’ driving times on ViaMichelin.

http://www.viamichelin.com/

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Agrigento ruins at night

Vagabonda,

Thank you for your advice and links - I very much appreciate it!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Agrigento ruins at night

My pleasure vapaula - Hopefully Villa Romana del Casale will offer accommodating schedules!

Vagabonda

Edited: 25 July 2010, 20:43
6. Re: Agrigento ruins at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2011, 07:16