We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Agrigento

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Agrigento

Hi all,

We are going to spend 2 weeks in Sicily in September for our honeymoon. I have planned everything a long time ago and I am now wondering if 4 nights in Agrigento is not going to be too long.

Also we have booked Mandranova tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g194662-d6208… and I am a bit concerned as the reviews have been quite bad recently.

Have any of you stayed there? Also do you think 4 nights in Agrigento is too much?

It will be the start of our honeymoon so I guess we might like just to rest at this point...but we are not really use to just do nothing on holiday and love travelling around.

Thanks for your help.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Agrigento

We enjoyed our stay at Mandranova during Easter of 2010, but can not comment for more recent input. We spent 3 nights. Since we have children, we spent one day at the beach, one day at the ruins at Valley of the Temples, one day driving and stopping wherever we felt the urge. "Modern" Agrigento also has some interesting Baroque buildings and churches.

We also received a tour of their olive oil production and spent time relaxing at their pool. (I just read online complaints of their pool but you have to understand that they have converted an ancient stone cistern into the pool. We found it lovely though of course, diving is out of the question.) Mandranova also organizes boat excursions but could not at the time we were there due to the weather.

The hosts were lovely and accommodating and recommend restaurants in different areas for lunch but we took all our dinners there - Including Easter lunch. The food was quite delicious. I hope things have not changed there as we would like to go back sometime soon.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,951 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Agrigento

I am an archeology nut. We spent only one day in Agrigento. I can see how one could easility spend 3 days there. I did not get to see the Museum at all.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Agrigento

Hi Clair,

There are so many other prettier places in Sicily - I would only consider Agrigento as a base to visit the magnificent temples - and to be honest with you I wouldn't stay there for longer that one night. Apart from being one of the poorest places in Sicily (thus crime is rife!) it's also one of the ugliest, built up cities. The beaches (Porto Empedocle - San Leone) are sandy but overlooked by a lot of industry (ironworking, pharmaceuticals, rock salt refining etc ) together with smoking industrial chimneys. Not the Sicily I know and love...

If you do want to stay in the area longer, then choose somewhere nice like Siculiana Marina...

Edited: 07 February 2012, 14:55
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,867 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Agrigento

clair9 visited Sicily in September 2011, but for future visitors to the area, you might check this thread....

tripadvisor.com/…38563981

Most find that one night suffices in the Agrigento area, but Agrigento (and the broader Agrigento area) offers more amenities (accommodations and restaurants) than surrounding towns.

Modern Agrigento is unattractive, but the historic centre is typical and genuine, as well as a public transportation hub for the area, and there are also accommodations nearer the Valley of the Temples.

There are nicer beach areas than San Leone as well....

But Mandranova isn’t located in Agrigento. Mandranova is an agriturismo located outside gracious Palma di Montechiaro, so in addition to day tripping to Agrigento and the Valley of the Temples, you could visit wineries and lovely Naro.

Vagabonda

Edited: 07 February 2012, 15:31
5. Re: 4 days in Agrigento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2013, 10:19